Pauper To Princess

Trigger Warning!! This story may contain sensitive content.

For poor Fatimah from Phoenix, to be hired as a cook in the Paruk household was a step in the right direction. Coming from a family that struggled with poverty since the death of her beloved father, Fatimah had great aspirations of working hard and becoming rich as fast as she could. She hated looking at her mother's frail fingers, bent out of proportion due to all the rolling she did making samoosa pur. At night, her mother would be weighed down with fatigue, yet she would bravely make her way to her old and battered sewing machine, to sit for an hour or two completing the alterations she took in just to make ends meet.

Fatimah's sister, Zahra, was only 9 and still in primary school. Zahra was an adorable little princess, whom both Fatimah and her mother doted on. They had both resolved to provide only the best for Zahraa.

As hardworking as she was Fatimah was not religious. Why would she be when fate had handed her a sack load of lemons? A person could only drink that much lemonade...

However, today on the first day of the job, Fatimah was optimistic. She loved cooking and baking. In fact the heavenly aroma of the kitchen always comforted her.
The Paruk family lived in Umhlanga so she had to live in, but she didn't mind. Who would, when the choice was a hot, stuffy room shared with your sister, or a cool air-conditioned room all to yourself?Her room in the servants quarters even had a TV as well as a DSTV satellite dish, with all her favorite Indian channels. She was as close to heaven on earth.

The first week flew, with Fatimah happily cooking, baking and whipping up yummy desserts with which Mrs. Paruk was throughly impressed. Fatimah had not encounted any of the other family members. She was aware of a Mr. Paruk and 2 teenage boys. Mrs. Paruk had even mentioned a brother-in-law in London, who visited from time to time.
Fatimah was not lonely though. There were other employees, Thembi the maid, Jack the gardener and Imtiaz the driver. They all got along like a house on fire, except for Imtiaz, who was rather aloof. He didn't talk much, he didn't join them when they watched TV.
Infact all Fatimah saw him do in his free time was read quraan. What a waste of a perfectly good man!

Imtiaz was gorgeous with a capital 'G'. He always wore a kurta , but beneath the thin fabric his strong muscles were visible. He had the face of a Greek God,warm chocolate brown eyes and a neatly combed beard. Everytime he walked past Fatimah she got a waft of his fragrant itr. But then again even if she was looking, Fatimah was not willing to settle for a mere driver. What kind of a life would he be able to provide?

It was with a lot of curiosity that Fatimah began marinating the Texan steak for the braai scheduled for Saturday. The brother-in-law from London was going to visit and the braai was being held in his honor. Mrs. Paruk had asked Fatimah to stay over the weekend to help and she happily obliged as it meant extra money. Apart from that, she would get to see a high class social event first hand.

Fatimah wondered what Yusuf, the brother-in-law looked like. She secretly wanted to snag his attention. That was her master plan. A rich husband. The other option was hard work.

An hour before the guests began arriving, Mrs. Paruk buzzed Fatimah in her room and told her to dress up as she needed her help serving the guests.
"Nothing fancy! A pair of jeans will do." advised Mrs. Paruk. Fatimah was grateful her mother could sew. She pulled on black skinny jeans and a white dress shirt, that her mom had altered to accentuate her small waist. Black pumps, a sleek ponytail and red lipstick. She was all set.

Mrs. Paruk didn't introduce her as the help, so Fatimah was quit at ease mingling and serving the guest, but her eyes were drawn like a magnet, over and over again to the guest of honor, Yusuf!... Yusuf was his name and he definitely had the beauty of Yusuf(A.S).He was breathtaking. Tall,muscular, fair skinned, hazel eyes and that hair!!!.... Omg!?! That hair was glorious! Thick black locks, falling carelessly over his eyes. He was dressed simply in blue jeans, a black T and sneakers. The best part, when he smiled, a deep dimple appeared on his left cheek. Everytime she stole a glance at him, Fatimah added another detail to their fairytale wedding in her imagination.