29. Carry The Burden

Sweet but psycho /HOTD / Harley Quinn out now!

"It's good to see him laughing again." Ned remarked as they came out of the crypts.

"I might have scared him a bit, but know that he asked for it." Hayley assured.

"I like having you here- I mean the kids like having you here." Ned corrected.

"You dont?" Hayley teased. "Thats a shame because I was going to say I like you but if you are going to be weird about it." Hayley mused as she bumped her hip into him.

"Robert opened up to you didnt he?" Ned pondered.

"I'm his... mother." Hayley reminded him.

"He told you about Lyanna."

"That hurt too much." Hayley corrected. "He told me of Rhaegars death." Ned nodded letting out long slow breath. "Would you like to tell me about Lyanna?"

"I remember finding her... I remember... she was bleeding... she was hurt... she was... sick." Ned offered. "She was my baby sister and I couldnt save her..." Hayley reached over grabbing his hand. "The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper... I promised her... I promised..." Ned's breath hitched in his throat. "The fear had gone out of Lyannas eyes. She... Gods I still remember the way she had smiled, how tightly her fingers had clutched my..." Hed held tight to Hayleys hand and she saw his fear, felt his fear. "Lyanna gave up her hold on life... the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black."

"Rose petals?"

"Red roses." Ned agreed.

"Red rubies." Hayley whispered.

"What?"

"Robert, he said Rhaegar had rubies on his armor and they broke free... spilled around them." Hayley rasped.

"I dont remember anything after that." Ned added quickly.

"Forced amnesia, your brain didnt want to remember the trauma." Hayley offered.

"I guess." Ned agreed. "They had found me, my friend Reed... he said I was still holding her body, said I wouldnt speak, silent with grief. Reed, had taken her dead hand from mine... but I dont remember any of it." Hayley held tight to his hand.

"I did the same when I lost my husband, Jackson. I was a mess and hated everyone. I was... inconsolable."

"Jackson?"

"Jackson Kenner." Hayley remarked. "Jack... I know the pain of losing someone, it sticks with you forever." Ned remained silent as Hayley sucked in a deep breath.

"When I first saw you, I broke. You broke me, and nothing has ever been the same since. I just want you to know that it was all real. Every moment, every touch, every word..." Hayley rasped remembering his words. "Thats what he told me. Thats what he said... Ned your sister didnt die because of you. She didnt die because you did anything wrong. From what I have learned, and heard, I think you were probably a wonderful brother, because you are a wonderful father."

"I couldnt save her."

"Not your fault." Hayley repeated. "My husband died though because of me."

"I'm sure thats not true." Ned corrected immediately.

"No, it is. The truth is my husband died because he loved me." Hayley rasped through gentle tears.

"Hayley," Ned whispered kissing her temple

"If I fall in love with my problems will they leave me too?" She forced a choked smile.

"Hayley-"

"I had a daughter."' Hayley added softly. "I lost her."

"Gods, I'm so sorry." Ned said through a shaky breath it was like her pain radiated from her. "I had no idea... I didnt... Hope." He realized. She nodded slightly.

"I thought I saved her but I ended up here and at times I feel like I can move on and I'm okay but Ned, i'm so lost." Hayley remarked. "So you are not alone. This pain, this never ending pain you are feeling when you think of her, of those that came before... you dont have to carry that burden alone."

"Neither do you." Ned agreed. A long silent moment filled them as she leaned into him feeling truly at peace for the first time in a long time.

"You are not Hayley Baratheon?" Ned both questioned and stated. She couldnt be. She had this whole other world, there was no way she imagined it.

"I'm Hayley Marshall." She corrected. "Hayley Marshall Kenner."