Chapter 10

Serilda

"Serilda," I awoke with a hand over my head. Blinking my eyes I looked at Erik.

"Have some juice," he offered and I just looked at it before taking it. I was still sleepy. Aaron hadn't still woken up yet. They had been told by the doctors that he would wake up in a few hours. It felt like that hour wasn't going to come at all. Doctors assured me it was nothing but drugs wearing off. shifting hospitals in between and everything was tiring on his body. There was nothing wrong with him but it was just the medications.

All their assurances went right through my head. It wasn't till I saw those eyes open looking at me with my name on his lips I could believe that everything was fine.

"Why don't you lay down on the sofa for a bit? I don't think prolonged sitting would be a good thing in your condition," I saw the concern in his eyes. "You can still watch from there. I can sit beside him while you rest."

Taking a last look at Aaron, I assured myself that he was still breathing. He was fine. There were small scars on his face but besides those, he was excellent. Too many ifs went through my mind but I had my hopes up that everything was fine. Moving away from him I let Erik replace me beside Aaron as I took a seat on the sofa behind him with a bottle of juice in my hand.

There were a sea of questions that I wanted to be answered but I had closed them off. I didn't want to think about them right at the moment. What did I see at the hospital?

Nathaniel was there. He was there, catching someone. I wanted to believe that it was just me imagining things after seeing Chyna but deep down it just didn't sit down well with me. Why would he be there? Or I was just overthinking. He might have been working there. I hadn't kept any tabs on anyone ever since I left that city so I had no idea what he was doing. Suddenly I wanted to know about him. There was this deep curiosity about where he was and what he was doing.

I closed my eyes and all I could see was his face. The memories of us flashed through my eyes. I clenched them shut because I didn't want to dwell on those memories. I didn't want to remember him. Evelyn, the persona I had created for him, he had fallen for her and so had she. From the start, I knew it was never going to be easy. He was a handsome man and deep down a part of me had fallen for him. He was the only one I had allowed to see the real me. I had stripped bare my feelings in front of me, letting him see the real pain I had gone through.

Why I had done so I had no idea. Maybe it was his kind eyes and the way concern on his face that let my guard fall in front of him.

"Aaron," I heard Erik call his name making my eyes snap open. Erik hovered around him, making me run toward him. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. Was he finally awake or was it something else?

"Is he alright?" I asked as I reached the bed. Erik took a step back, letting me near him. My hand touched his cheek and I saw the grey eyes staring at me. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Are you alright?" I asked and he just stared at me. The more seconds passed by the more anxious I got. He just stared at me. I felt like my heart could just burst out of my chest. A similar memory of the past flashed before my eyes when he had gone through his tumor surgery. I felt like I was back in that moment.

"Serilda," he whispered my name and a tear rolled down my cheek in relief. I felt like I could finally breathe. He was fine.

"Let me call up the nurse," Erik pressed the call button for the nurse. I sat on the chair holding his hand and just staring at him. It was as if I couldn't get enough of those eyes looking at me. Wiping a tear I smiled at him while kissing his hand.

"I thought I lost you," his eyes were fixed on me.

"I won't let you lose me," his voice hoarse. The door to the room opened and a nurse walked in.

"I will bring in the doctor," she told us as she saw Aaron awake.

"Where are we?" he asked me trying to get up but I pushed him down to rest.

"We are in San Francisco. Erik decided to bring you here from Nevada," I saw his eyes shift toward where Erik was. It felt like it just registered to him that Erik was here too.

"I'm glad you are conscious now," Erik's words just caused Aaron to look at him with wide eyes. They both were staring at each other. "Next time, just take a flight rather than drive. You gave your wife a heart attack," Erik added.

"I'm sorry," he apologized turning towards me.

"I think you should be sorry for troubling her like that," Erik added with his eyes set on Aaron. "You caused a lot of trouble," the way he spoke it I could feel something off.

"But it's all fine now," I spoke up turning their heads towards me. "Nothing to worry about much now. Aaron is going to recover and I'm good too." Erik gave me a tight smile.

"Yes, it is," he said curtly. The door opened and the nurse came in followed by the doctor.

"It's good to see you awake," the doctor picked up his chart and checked it. As he got down to check his vitals and injuries I decided to step away as the doctor worked. At the same time, a phone rang and as he pulled it out of the pocket it slipped right through his hand to fall near my feet.

I picked it for him. As I held it down for him to take it for me, the name and the number that flashed on it had me stilled.

My eyes turned towards him as he looked at the phone in my hand.

The person to whom the number belonged was something I could never forget.

Serena's name flashed through it. I stared at it and suddenly the phone felt too heavy to hold. As I looked at him, his expression growing worried and confused, I let it slip through my fingers.

My eyes turned towards Aaron because the phone that I had let slip through my fingers was his.

"Serilda," Erika called my name but I looked at Aaron and then at the phone that was on the floor still ringing.

Why would she call him? I didn't think I just acted. With as much as force I could use I put my shoe on the phone breaking the screen. I broke his phone until it stopped ringing. I stepped on it until I couldn't hear the ring anymore.

"She was calling the wrong person," I mumbled with everyone's eyes on me.