pt. I: 7 - That's All?

a/n: Hey again after two long weeks :') I hope you'll enjoy this week's chapter! Let me know what you're thinking <3

The next morning starts blurry for San. Monday is his free day, his first out of two, and not having to get up to put on a smile, not even having to go out of his room and into the posh rest of the hotel leads to him spending the most of his morning lazing around in his room. Eventually, though, his stomach starts to rumble, so he begrudgingly puts on some half-decent clothes – a jeans and the only woolen pullover he brought with him to the island – and makes his way downstairs.

Entering the dining hall, San instinctively straightens his posture and lets his lips pull up into a polite smile. On or off shift, appearing presentable and approachable is a non-negotiable requirement, as he had been instructed on his first two work days.

Two steps into the dining hall, he almost bumps into Wooyoung, who seems to be on his way out.

"Hey." San hesitantly lets his smile widen a bit.

"Good morning..." Wooyoung seems just as hesitant as he eyes San up and down.

The sooner he gets his apology out, the better, San concludes. He takes a breath: "I'm sorry for yesterday."

Wooyoung turns fully toward him. "For what?"

Maybe Wooyoung didn't notice anything off after all. Or maybe, he just wants to hear San put it into more concrete words. San goes for the latter option – just to make sure, but also because he feels like it's the right thing to do: "I was pretty absent-minded that morning and didn't listen a lot."

"Oh." Something closed-off in Wooyoung's face seems to open up. Just a bit. "It... happens, I guess. It's alright."

"I'm still sorry." San does another careful intake of Wooyoung's facial expressions, his posture. His fingers are lightly fidgeting.

"That's it?" Wooyoung's voice sounds a bit strained now.

San pauses. Is that all? What does Wooyoung want? And, most importantly: what does San want? Does he want to give hanging out with Wooyoung another shot? What about Mingi and Yunho though – and does San even have any chance at getting with Mingi at this point?

It's weird – having Mingi close to him feels just as important to San as it did yesterday, but trying to make him jealous, of all things, has lost some of its urgency. Most of all, San wants to spend happy times with Mingi, not tension-loaded ones.

So what does he want to do about Wooyoung? San isn't sure. He only knows he doesn't want him to leave just yet, so he voices the first conversational thought that comes to his mind: "You look tired."

Wooyoung's face opens up a bit more. "Uh, yeah. I stayed up late texting my friends."

"The whole night?," San inquires.