Chapter Seventeen

Sunlight streamed in between parted pale blue curtains, painting the space in a golden light

Sunlight streamed in between parted pale blue curtains, painting the space in a golden light. Two figures laid intertwined on the bed, covered only by the sheets. Dark brown eyes fluttered open, slowly taking in the surroundings. Darla shifted, attempting to stretch while pinned underneath a body. A sigh fell from her lips upon finding herself unable to move, resigning herself to her current position.

Soft pants brushed against her neck, causing strands of inky black to stir. A small smile tugged at the corners of Darla's lips, her unpinned hand raising to brush back auburn tresses from fine features. She leaned into the slumbering body, laying her cheek atop Alicent's curls. This close, Darla could feel the subtle movements as Alicent began to stir.

"Good morrow," Darla whispered into Alicent's hairline. "We will be expected soon."

"A moment." Alicent murmurs, turning further into Darla's embrace.

"Whatever you wish, my Queen." The corners of Darla's lips twitch upwards into a teasing grin.

Alicent's arm shot out, falling over Darla's abdomen and swatting at her hip. Laughter spilt from Darla's lips, causing a tired grin to appear on Alicent's face.

"How did you sleep?" Darla's smile softened, her fingers trailing over Alicent's hand that rested heavily on her hip and up her arm. Her hand fell to Alicent's swollen stomach, rubbing the taunt flesh and soothing the restless babe within.

"As well as can be expected." Alicent hummed, relaxing into the comforting touch.

★・・・・・・★

Members of the realm's noble houses that called the Red Keep home had gathered within the council chambers. The normally closed doors had been opened to allow a small celebration before journeying to the Kingswood where a grand hunt would be held in honor of the King's two sons' second name day.

Both boys had been born merely hours apart. Darla's son, Rhaemon, had come early one spring morning while she laid beside the King. She had quickly been moved to her own chambers as the labors progressed. Upon his birth, Rhaemon had been legitimized and recognized as the King's first born son.

In the room across from hers, Alicent's own labors began as Darla's had ended. After hearing word, Darla had forced herself off of the birthing bed with her son held tight to her chest. She pushed through the servants and maesters, until she made it to Alicent's bedside. Uncaring how blood slowly dripped down her legs, all Darla focused on was holding Alicent's hand through the contractions.

"They have your hair, Your Grace." One of the noblemen yelled out.

"They do have my hair," Viserys smiled down at the young boy in Darla's arms, his gaze turning lustful as he glanced up at Darla.

"They have your eyes, Your Grace," Another nobleman called out from behind Alicent, startling the young mother.

Darla's hand fell from her son's side, searching out Alicent's. With an ease that only came with practice, their hands found each other, fingers intertwining while the room remained unaware. Alicent gently squeezed the older girl's hand, reassuring Darla that she was well.