Chapter 35: That Land and Sea Be Indefinitely Wild

At first, stepping outside the invisible boundaries of Gealach Lán was uneventful. The surrounding countryside was more similar to Kane's village than different, and he didn't balk at seeing the occasional piece of newer equipment for farming. He still recognized the same trees and flowers, the herds of sheep and sporadic cows.

But the further they took the wagon, the more he began to feel overwhelmed. Cars sped by like galloping horses. Deafening noises erupted out of nowhere. They were still in the mostly rural areas of Scotland and wouldn't be anywhere near the city, but even venturing this far out made Kane start to break out in a cold sweat.

He took in every change to his country and world. A local passerby looked down at a strange thin box-looking contraption in his hand. Castles and structures that had once stood proud and strong were now ruins, empty of anything but invading plants. Lands that had once teemed with villagers and huge clans were now just pastures full of overgrowth and silence.

Jamie explained that the world had increasingly become concentrated in cities after the Industrial Revolution. Families had migrated to urban centers for jobs, leaving the farms and estates behind. Cities had then sprawled into multiple towns and communities joined together. He'd known that the nobility had diminished significantly in its power but he was still shocked to realize just how much.

Would he ever be able to adapt to such a radically different world? The question had bothered him. Jamie was a modern woman used to certain conveniences and dynamics. Women had infinitely more power now than they had when he was young. The Church no longer dictated most of society's morals or codes of conduct. And people did not live in close-knit communities the way they once had. His way of life was practically primeval. They were five hundred years apart; he had never even used the internet.

Part of him worried. It wasn't a part he gave voice to or spent much time pondering over, but it was there in the back of his mind needling him as they made their way. He had wealth and land - the usual ways of attracting a wife - and he was strong, obviously physically appealing to Jamie based on her response to him. But he was from a different world, perhaps too different for Jamie.

Christ, he hoped not.

He had waited so long to find the woman that would break the curse, he had never stopped to wonder what it would look like afterward.

Kane was quiet as they rode on through the Highlands. Jamie had offered to drive the wagon, allowing him the chance to take in everything around him that had changed. And for once, she didn't pepper him with endless questions or observations. She let him take in the world in silence.

When the scent of the air began to change and the sounds of nature grew louder, he knew they were getting closer to the ocean.

Shamefully, the realization made him nervous.

As if she could sense his tension, Jamie turned her gaze from the horse leading them. "Won't be long now."

He nodded absently, his throat tight and dry. Catrina and Effie had packed them a kit for camping overnight as well as some meals, and he grabbed some water to drink as the wagon jostled them forward.

"You okay?"

Kane met Jamie's intelligent, green gaze for a moment. "Aye."

She nodded but didn't say another word.

The woods thinned out as they edged closer to the coast. They could hear the loud crash of waves against the steep cliffs and the sounds of birds flying and hunting over the rocks. Salt filled Kane's nostrils, pumping his lungs with a fresh and familiar scent that eased him somewhat. When Jamie stopped the wagon, he helped her unload and detach the horse so it could graze. Then she took his hand.