14. Chapter (The Clash of Siblings)

When the younger generations of the Price and Gray families found themselves alone with Oscar Suthersby, they silently contemplated the recent turn of events. An extended and uncomfortable silence settled upon them, and neither party felt inclined to break it. However, Felix's curiosity got the better of him, and he eventually turned to his brother.

"I wonder what our mother and Lord Price might be discussing," he inquired softly. "Such a stir over a mere chest? Perhaps the venerable historian chose to omit it from his bequest."

"They are likely engaged in a conversation about the thievery and dubious origins of the Duke of Hertfordshire," Daniel retorted with a discernible volume, ensuring that his words reached everyone's ears.

Arden emitted a disdainful snort and directed his gaze towards Daniel. "This topic has become trite. Do you expect us to bear responsibility for the deeds of our ancestors, whether willingly or not?"

"Throughout generations, you have masqueraded as if all is well, revelling in the ill-gotten wealth bestowed upon your family," Daniel interjected sharply.

"And pray, what course of action do you propose? Shall we simply surrender everything and face destitution? Is that your vision of our future?" Eliza interjected, unable to maintain her silence any longer.

Felix reclined in his seat, a mischievous twinkle gracing his visage. He found himself thoroughly captivated by the unfolding spectacle, diligently committing every uttered phrase within these walls to memory, keenly aware of the importance of each exchange. What my mother and brother are withholding from me may very well escape the confines of those esteemed Price lips, he pondered.

"In your position, I would hasten the wedding proceedings, eager to conclude matters as swiftly as possible. Moreover, I am presently engrossed in a discussion with your brother," Daniel retorted with visible annoyance.

Arden, however, could no longer tolerate the situation. He rose swiftly from his seat, approaching Daniel until their noses were nearly touching.

"You shall not address my sister in such a manner!" Arden exclaimed, his voice tinged with anger.

"That will suffice!" Oscar interjected, standing up from his seat, though his attempt to restore order proved futile.

"Why? Am I not speaking the truth?" Daniel retreated a few steps to the side, surveying both Arden and Eliza in turn. "Your obsession with wealth stems solely from a desire for prestige. Your sisters can be married off with ease, and given your double life, procuring money surely poses no challenge."

"Arden, what is he insinuating with talk of a double life and money?" Eliza inquired, surprised by the revelation, momentarily disregarding the insult hurled her way. She, too, rose to her feet, nervously fidgeting with the hem of her gown.

"Not now, Eliza," Arden pleaded in a hushed tone.

Daniel let out a scornful scoff. "So, your sister remains oblivious," he said, casting a derisive glance at Eliza. "Your esteemed brother gains substantial sums from illicit boxing matches and deceitful gambling, I hear."

"Arden, is this true?" Eliza asked her brother, piercing him with her gaze, deaf yet to another offence.

"I do not engage in cheating at games or partake in boxing matches. I merely place wagers," Arden clarified, directing his gaze back to Daniel. "How did you come by this knowledge? I mentioned boxing alone; I made no reference to wagering."

Daniel's smile turned sardonic. "I was unaware you would admit it yourself."

Arden let out a dismissive grunt, realising how Daniel had caught up with him. However, he chose to remain silent, striding to the other side of the room to release his pent-up frustration. There, he paused briefly, contemplating, before turning back to face the rest of the gathering, his hands firmly planted on his hips.