52. Chapter (You Don't Choose Your Enemy)

Arden had been residing at Burnett's residence, avoiding his own dwelling for nearly four days. He wished to spare his family from the awareness of his anguish over Lynette's disappearance, but he could no longer uphold the facade of composure. He had sent a message to his father and stepmother via a courier, reassuring them not to fret, and the following day, they embarked once more to visit the solicitor Suthersby.

"As of yet, no lady matching your description has been located in the prison or the mortuary. Have you ventured to the infirmaries, perchance?" Oscar inquired from behind his desk. "I also dare to say it's still very early to determine her whereabouts."

Arden and Burnett nodded, as they had indeed included apothecaries and charitable establishments among the locales they investigated. Shortly, they bid farewell to Oscar, as there was indeed nothing more to be gleaned beyond Arden's apprehensions. Stepping out onto the lively street, Arden let out a heavy sigh.

"I find myself at the end of my strength and wits, Burnett, bereft of ideas on how to locate Lynette."

"Return home, Arden. Sometimes it is wiser to acknowledge defeat rather than recklessly persist in futile endeavours," Burnett counselled him.

Arden emitted a derisive sound and shook his head in disagreement.

"If I must journey to Ireland to find her, then to Ireland I shall go."

Burnett understood the ache that plagued his friend's heart, so he approached Arden and, with paternal concern, placed a hand upon his shoulder.

"And what then, Arden? Shall you take her as your wife? It will be nigh impossible to deceive anyone that she is of noble birth."

Arden fell silent, recognising the wisdom in his old friend's words. At that moment, all he longed for was to discover Lynette's whereabouts and ascertain her well-being, for this was pressing upon his conscience the most. Hence he bid farewell to Burnett and was about to hail a carriage to drive him home at long last, when a finely adorned coach halted beside him. The coach doors swung open wide, revealing a masked lady within.

"Quickly, step inside!" she commanded.

"I am in no mood for jests," Arden retorted, instantly recognising Lady Allman's voice.

"It is of utmost importance! I implore you!" Her urgency blended with palpable panic, prompting him to relent and enter the carriage. As the doors closed and the carriage set off, he inquired irritably, "Pray tell, what could be so crucial that you would spirit me away in broad daylight?"

Lady Allman removed her mask, her countenance betraying the difficulty she faced in broaching the subject. Hours had elapsed while Lynette remained at the mercy of that scoundrel Gareth, making immediate action impossible. She needed to compose herself and contemplate her next course of action. To act impulsively and reveal her knowledge of the unfortunate girl could spell disaster. It was not until she beheld Emmett and Gareth engaged in convivial conversation over dinner that she realised she could not confide in Emmett. He would staunchly defend his servant, whom he regarded as a dear friend and confidant. Thus, she chose a safer path—to disclose everything to Arden.

"I find it arduous to speak of...," she began, searching for the appropriate words.

"Either speak forthwith or desist from wasting my time," Arden retorted impatiently, folding his arms across his chest.

"Your harl... paramour," she corrected herself swiftly, "that Lynette... she has been abducted by one of my servants," she finally revealed.

Arden froze, and the widow observed, her apprehension mounting, as his expression transformed from surprise to sheer horror.