16. Chapter (Of Mice And Rodents)

Travis was well aware that he had not been born under a fortunate star, and he carried a subconscious expectation that bad situations could always take a turn for the worse. Thus, the rejection by Eliza Price at the ball that night was followed by an even graver misfortune - a fire erupted on his Marlborough estate. Half of the stable was consumed by the flames, along with a significant number of livestock, including the faithful hunting dogs, and the granary succumbed to the inferno. One of the young footmen hastened to deliver the news, just as the largest flames were extinguished.

Travis had no choice but to entrust his guest to his mother's care shortly after extending hospitality within his home. He pondered over possible conversations between Corinne and Evan, apart from the usual formalities. Little did he know that conversation was not the sole pastime of two adults in seclusion and if he had known of Evan's true nature, he would have severed ties without hesitation.

Nevertheless, he had remained at Marlborough for a week, overseeing the procurement of materials, livestock, and other necessary supplies to ensure the comfort of his people and the continuity of his estate's operations. He meticulously calculated the extent of his losses, as well as the potential impact on his financial prospects for the year. Furthermore, he engaged in inspections and the restoration of damaged property, which came as a surprise to the household staff. Word soon spread that the young and distinguished Marquess graced the estate with his presence.

He received several invitations to soirees hosted by the local rural gentry, but with the utmost deference, he politely declined them all. Having just laid the final beam in the newly reconstructed stable with the assistance of his fellow footmen, he stepped out into the courtyard. There, he leaned against the wooden fence, drawing a moment's respite, while the soft February sunlight gently caressed his countenance. At a distance, two modestly attired women stood conversing, one appearing to be in her twenties, the other in her forties. They were the maidservants dutifully employed within the estate's manor.

"You, Sarah, have you noticed how our Marquess seems to grow more comely with each passing year?" the younger maid inquired upon catching sight of him, her gaze assessing him from head to toe. Sarah, too, directed her gaze in his direction.

"Aye, he does possess a certain charm. Although, it would be a relief to see him crack a smile now and then. He'll be reaching thirty soon, and I can't recall a single time he's shown a joyful countenance," she remarked, her voice tinged with wistfulness.

"It comes as no surprise, considering he lost his father at such a tender age. Rumour has it that the scar on his cheek is a result of his mother's rage, when she threw a glass in a fit of anger, unwittingly injuring him," the younger maid revealed, her tone laced with sympathy.

"And how did you come by such knowledge?" Sarah inquired, her curiosity piqued.

A sly smile played upon the younger maid's lips. "I overheard Mrs. Stowe mention it while I was in town, picking up threads for the seamstresses. She seems to be well-informed about the affairs of our Marquess."

Sarah shook her head disapprovingly. "Mrs. Stowe ought to focus on her own duties rather than indulging in idle chatter," she muttered to herself, rolling her eyes discreetly.

"She also divulged," the young maid continued, " that there are whispers going 'round that our Marquess has set his sights on Eliza Price. I dare to say, Sarah, whether that lady possesses an exquisite golden cunt or not, it appears that all of London is vying for her hand," she added, her tone tinged with a hint of envy.

"Pray, hush, Corliss! Such heinous talk concerning another lady ill befits our tongues! Considering her standing as the Duke's daughter, it is only natural that numerous suitors would seek her favour. Obviously, our young Marquess wouldn't court someone like you," Sarah chided, reprimanding the young maid.