35. Chapter (High Stakes Gamble)

The remaining days of summer passed swiftly, and the Price family found themselves once again in the bustling streets of London before they could fully fathom it. Hertford, after the incident involving Daniel and Travis, settled into a tranquil routine, with the exception of the impending nuptials of Phineas and his betrothed.

Eliza, quietly envisioning her own future wedding, attended the ceremony accompanied by her sisters and Arden. Despite Lord Gray's transgression, she maintained a steadfast belief that someday she would find a suitable match, although she had only a faint notion of who her prospective suitor might be. The words of the Magician and Daniel lingered in her thoughts, recounting Travis' unwavering devotion and his willingness to go to great lengths to win her affections. The mere contemplation sent a tremor down her spine, yet the sentiment was not one of anticipation, but rather marked by great reluctance.

Unfortunately, Travis departed from Hertford with undue haste, denying her the opportunity to engage in a conversation and resolve matters. Her father, noting the unresolved situation, instructed both her and Arden to personally seek an audience with the Marquess of St. Arcey and settle the issue, making the necessary amends. Alas, they failed to encounter the marquess at his stately home, and the majordomo could not provide an expected return date. Leaving a calling card, they turned their attention to other affairs in the interim.

The natal day season drew near, as they fondly referred to it—a time when Elizabeth would celebrate her birthday in September, followed by Eliza, and the twins at the close of October. Plans needed to be made for the celebrations, and Elizabeth entertained the notion of a grand fête in honour of all the ladies within the family, mindful of John's condition. As for future natal days, they would be commemorated in the new year on a rather modest scale—John's falling in January and Arden's in March.

Eliza found herself seated in the parlour, a book in her hand, gazing wistfully out the rain-streaked window. Nearby, Elizabeth and the twins engaged in a lively discussion about the impending celebration, but their words reached Eliza's ears only faintly.

Her thoughts were consumed by Daniel—the anger smouldering in his eyes as he departed, leaving behind a bruised, purple mark around his left eye. Surely, he did not merit such treatment, regardless of his cantankerous disposition and aversion towards Eliza. On the contrary, he deserved an apology, not only from her but more importantly, from Arden. Indeed, he played a part in her downfall, yet she couldn't deny walking willingly into his trap. Furthermore, he attempted to make amends with her, albeit in a manner unsuitable, or rather horrendous for a lady of her standing.

Phineas was right, that scoundrel indeed assisted in making the most, if not all, of my thoughts about the Magician to vanish, Eliza mused. Yet, I feel I am being unfair toward that masked gentleman, for I truly harbour an interest in him.

The mere remembrance of their nocturnal encounter reignited a flame within her soul, prompting her to forbid herself from delving into the recesses of her mind where those unseemly thoughts resided. In the end, her father never revisited the topic of Daniel as a potential suitor, and apparently, it proved to be for the best.

Only later, after Lord Gray's departure had transpired, did Eliza come to realise that both Arden and her father had, to some extent, taken on the roles of matchmakers in Hertford, until Arden severed all ties with his audacious remarks. It was only then that John comprehended the futility of it all, and those doors became irrevocably sealed. Nevertheless, the matter continued to trouble Eliza, and she resolved to persuade Arden to visit the Grays as soon as the notorious card player returned from town.

She even found herself harbouring a sense of sympathy for Lord Gray—an emotion she promptly dismissed. How could she feel sympathy for him when there was a possibility of him gaining the means to divest them of their property? How could she harbour sympathy for a deuce, who pilfered the only gift she could bestow upon her future husband during their inaugural night? It was sheer madness, and Eliza knew well that she shouldn't have entertained such a notion at any time of the day!