Steve x Reader

Thanks @TheFaithful0ne for the request!
———

Steve POV

I wasn't sure how much time passed but it was obviously quite a bit by the time I was released from the curse of the Collector. My limbs were tingly with my mind fuzzy for a few moments once I had somehow been saved. I had awoken to a bright light that felt like hope, apparently having more than a metaphorical use as I spotted some of King's friends undoing the curse for the other citizens of the Boiling Isles with small spheres of flames.

My body was weak when I fully came around, crouching on the cold ground as the kid that had freed me kept moving along to others. I was vaguely aware of the floor shaking as well but I was too distraught to properly assess any other danger that we could all still be part of. I was still trying to process what had happened before everything went dark and I started having constant nightmares of being trapped in my own skin.

My head started to hurt with the strain of thinking but then something must've budged in my memory as flashbacks filled my mind. The Day of Unity had been occurring and we all had a plan to stop it. Clearly since I was still here along with other witches that had sigils, something had gone right. It didn't soothe my mind though as something seemed to be missing.

My hands desperately tugged at my hair as I tried to steady myself on the ground that was definitely shaking now. It didn't feel that important to what I was forgetting though. There was someone that I needed to remember, someone that mattered a whole lot to me. Even with countless useless names floating in my head, I was still unsatisfied with the results of my thoughts.

A wave of particles suddenly trickled from the ceiling then, a cascade of light that I wasn't quite sure where it came from. It brought me so much sadness to see it though and as I stood on shaky legs, I noticed the other kids looking unnerved by it as well. I held out my hand to cup one of the particles in my palm where the warmth of it brought clear familiarity. Someone I knew always brought me this same heart wrenching warmth.

"Y/n...y/n!" I whispered before shouting out. My head anxiously swiveled around to try to find him. I couldn't believe I couldn't remember him before with the way he was plaguing my head now. It was him that brought me that feeling of safety and held me close when I was down. He was the one who had cradled me close when I was sure I would die on the Day of Unity. I had been staring into his crying eyes when everything went dark.

"Y/n!" I yelled out louder, springing on my feet before looking around frantically. He had been right by my side when everything went wrong and I needed him by my side now. No matter where I looked though, even as the Owl Lady's kids watched me out of the corner of their eyes, I couldn't find him. He had to be here though, and puppet or not, I was going to find him till the end of the world if that's what it took.

"Steve! Oh my god," a beautiful voice called out from behind me. I turned around right as someone barreled into me, knocking me to the floor with him falling onto me. I didn't care enough to even feel the pain as my arms wrapped around y/n desperately, pushing my face against his neck where I could feel his rapid pulse. He held me back just as tightly, like he was also scared that if either of us let go, the other would vanish.

"That was the most terrifying moment of my life," I whispered raspily, feeling tears well up in my eyes at the fear of losing him. He pulled back slightly so I could look at his face which was just as handsome as ever. His bright smile was enough to ease all of my earlier anxiousness, my own heartbeat picking up speed from its slumber. I just wanted to hold him like this forever.

"Not even the end of the world could keep me from you Steve. I love you too much for that," he mumbled, his hands moving to cup my face. I felt myself swoon at his words before he leaned in to place a kiss on my lips that left my head spinning. One of my own hands lifted to tangle in his hair, pulling him closer as I let my tears openly fall. He hummed gently against my lips, causing shivers to roll through my body as he pulled away. Even without the kiss though, I felt like I had been electrocuted with his affection.

"I love you too y/n. Far more than you could ever know," I smiled back, peppering his face with small kisses that left him chuckling. When the ground shook again, my mind now aware enough to notice it, I didn't even bother moving. Y/n shifted onto his side with his head resting on my chest, eyes staring at my lovingly as his fingers gently rubbed my horn with my own hand holding him close by his waist where I traced circles over his clothes.

"I think I can take a guess," he whispered, leaning in again to kiss me softly and slowly. Even when there were shouts nearby and possibly the end of the world, I held him close and didn't let him go, allowing others to be the heroes now. All I needed was y/n with me here and now to keep me sane. He was all I've ever needed.