Mattholomule x Reader

Thanks @nerdyfanficfan325 for the request!
———

Even at the end of the world, I still couldn't get much done. Granted, it wasn't my fault and had nothing to do with my own motivation but because I could never get very far without a certain someone holding me back. While I found it endearing that there was someone in this world that cared for me and my well being, it was starting to become suffocating and limited the help I could provide to save all the others of the Boiling Isles as well as to him specifically.

I understood why Matt had become like this ever since the Collector first turned everyone into puppets. His brother Steve happened to be caught by the curse and was taken away, leaving Matt alone until he found others who also survived without being transformed. Considering we were good friends beforehand, I wasn't exactly surprised when he started latching onto me. At first, I didn't even mind being there to try to console him. That was until it started turning a little obsessive.

I was fine letting him hug me out of the blue when he started feeling down or letting him pull me aside to talk about what was on his mind but when he began doing it more and more, becoming insistently clingy, I worried for him. It was normal to have this response when everything you know and love is burning to the ground but there was a limit to rational behaviors that Matt had started to ignore, never even letting me out of his sight once.

I suppose it all started to take a turn when I had woken him up from one of his nightmares he had been caught in one late night here at the school a few days after the Collector had turned most of the Isles into puppets. He had been crying out and whimpering, his brother's name whispered pleadingly from him and causing me to quickly wake him up.

Matt had instantly clung to me in terror, desperately latching onto me even as I tried to soothe him by rubbing his back. When he still hadn't calmed down, I had guided him to a private hideaway I had that no one else knew about where we spent the night away talking over our fears and finding comfort in each other. I can't ever forget how Mattie had looked then with his sad smile and the way he had cuddled into his older brother's sweater that Steve had given him shortly before he had been cursed. Mattie had been so adorable and I thought I was so lucky to see this vulnerable side to him that he rarely let others know about.

Well after that night that ended up with Mattie curling against my chest before falling asleep, we became inseparable. He wouldn't let me go anywhere without following, always close enough to touch me at any point. It got to the point where he wouldn't even follow Boscha's orders unless I was involved with them. I was honored to always be a part of his plan but I also knew we couldn't do this forever.

"Don't get sidetracked y/n. What are you thinking about?" Matt's voice shook me out of my daze. I looked at him by my side, crouching down as we waited on patrol for someone who would never show up. His eyebrows were pulled together in concern as he stared at me with wide eyes. I could tell he was getting that clingy urge again as he looked at me longingly.

"Just remembering you in Steve's sweater that one night. You were so cute," I teased him, watching his face flush even as his eyes turned sad. I noticed my mistake too late as he got that far off expression that told me he was thinking about his brother. Slightly panicking, I reached out to grab his face gently in my hands. That seemed to snap him right out of it.

"I'm sorry for making you think about that, Mattie, but don't leave me now. We'll get him back. You'll see your brother again, I promise," I whispered seriously. His face was now bright red and burning as he pulled his face away from my hands bashfully. I couldn't help but chuckle at his expression considering how much he was usually the one clinging to me. It was still cute of course, just ironic.

"For now, I've got you y/n. As long as I don't lose you too, I'll do just fine," he whispered back shyly, averting his eyes from mine. I couldn't help smiling softly as I reached out to take one of his hands in mine, intertwining our fingers lovingly. His stare swiveled to meet mine in shock before all of the tension in his body seemed to drain away. Before long, he was cuddling up beside me with his arms holding me in a hug that I returned just as softly.

"Just keep remembering to talk to me about these things, okay Mattie? Don't just cling to me without words," I asked him, hoping that by communicating we could work through this together in a healthy and fulfilling way. Matt only nodded against me, holding me tighter as I sighed. I didn't mind staying like this for the rest of patrol, as long as Matt kept looking at me like that. Like I was the only one who could keep him sane.