76. Bitter

''We don't choose our destiny, Luke. It chooses us.'' Rhaenyra reminded him gently.

''Grandsire, let you choose whether you be as a... You told us so." Luke reminded her holding back a sob. 

"And do you want to know the truth of it?" Rhaenyra questioned him ''I was frightened. I was four and ten. Same as you are now. I wasn't ready to be queen of the Seven Kingdoms. But it was my duty, and in time I came to understand I had to earn my inheritance, it will still be mine." Rhaenyra reminded him, the crown would be hers soon enough. Vaera would crack and give it to her. Vaera always did whatever Rhaenyra wanted, turn against Alicent, Vaera was her right hand woman, threaten lannisters at Aegons name day party, she was right there with the sassiest of comments to scare Jason away. Rhaenyra was confident that Vaera would cave when the time came. 

''I'm not like you.'' Luke whimpered

''In what way, sweet boy?''

''Not so... bitter.'' Luke informed her, sad eyes stared up at her.

''I am anything but bitter..." Rhaenyra assured her face tense. ''My father looked after me and helped prepare me for my duties.... he doesnt know what he is talking about now, your aunt has manipulated him, I will rule I know the roles. I will do the same for you." Rhaenyra assured.

"I dont want to end up like you." Luke corrected. 

"Go to your room." Rhaenyra demanded pointing a finger at the door. 

''Good morrow, Princess. Princess Rhaenys has just arrived on Dragon back. We urgently request an audience with you and Prince Daemon.'' He informed her and she sucked in a deep breath. That couldn't mean anything good. 

+

 ''The Princess Rhaenys Targaryen.'' He announced as Rhaenyra and Daemon stood waiting for her.

''Thank you, Sir Laurence.... Princess Rhaenys, might we hope for news of Lord Corlys's recovery?" Rhaenyra said hopefully.

"Viserys is dead." Rhaenys informed her bluntly. Rhaenyra stared back at her, she didn't expect this news, not right now. ''I grieve this loss with you, Rhaenyra. My cousin. Your father. Possessed a kind heart." Rhaenyra looked to Daemon letting out a shaky breath. ''There is more.'' She turned her gaze back to Rhaenys as Rhaenys got closer, her steps slow but precise. ''Vaera has been crowned as his successor. They crowned her already."

"How did Viserys die?" Rhaenyra demanded. 

"I could not say." Rhaenys admitted.

''How long ago?' Rhaenyra demanded again. 

''A day past, perhaps two. I was made a prisoner in my quarters while the Queen made her preparations." Rhaenys informed them. '' Viserys has been slain.'' Rhaenys repeated slowly for them to process.

"Alicent demanded you declare for Vaera or Aegon?" Rhaenyra remarked.

"I already swore to Vaera..." Rhaenys reminded them. "As did your husband."

''And yet you are alive and here.'' Daemon mused unconvinced of her loyalty.

''The High Septon crowned Vaera in the Dragonpit. I witnessed it myself just before I fled on Meyels. They crowned Aegon and Vaera both, before the masses. So that the masses would see Vaera as their rightful king." Rhaenys informed them.

''That whοre of a queen murdered my father and stole his throne, and you could have burned more for it." Rhaenyra spat and Daemon looked to her completely shocked. Vaera was her sister, his niece, he didnt want her burned. He wanted the crown but not more than he wanted Vaera alive.

"A war is like to be fought over this treachery, to be sure. But that war is not mine to begin. I only rushed this warning to you out of loyalty to my husband and to my house." Rhaenys informed them ''The greens are coming for you, Rhaenyra. And for your children. You should leave Dragonstone at once." Rhaenys told them as she headed out but Rhaenyra whimpered out and Rhaenys turned back to her. Daemon stared as she doubled over, pulling up her dress skirts and drawing back blood.

"Baby's coming. I need you to strike up our arms.''

"Rhaenyra-" Daemon countered. 

"You will do this, you will fight! YOu will fight Daemon!" Rhaenyra demanded. "That crown is ours and they stole it."

+

 ''I want patrols along the island's perimeter, looking for any small ships that might set ashore. If the Greens attack now, it will be by stealth, not directly." As Rhaenyra tried to deliver an early labor Daemon was taking charge, acting as King that he always wanted to be. He was going to strike, a war against the Greens because that was what Rhaenyra demanded and Daemon liked the theatrics of war. ''We don't have enough men to surround the island, but we can make ourselves appear stronger than they are.'' Daemon went on as his council stood around the map, nodding in agreement, Daemon was born for this. ''Conscript the Dragon Keepers, they're capable fighters, waste no time.''

''It will be done, my prince.''

He worried about Vaera what might happen but hoped the sister would be able to talk to discuss this and find a happy medium but Rhaenyra looked nothing less than murderous.