𝟬𝟯𝟯. . . why's a fork talking to you...

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE !

[ real life, imessage, social media ]

- ❝ WHY'S A FORK TALKING TO YOU... ❞ 💌

ʳᵉᵃˡ ˡⁱᶠᵉ !

chris thinks the universe has something against him

actually, he knows the universe has something against him, because otherwise he wouldn't currently be sitting at the santos dining table, forced into a casual dinner with his and rory's families.

the atmosphere at the dinner table is anything but comfortable for him. he's just sat there, sandwiched between matt and rory's mom, feeling the awkwardness hang heavy in the air. the clinking of cutlery on porcelain plates seems unusually loud today, a stark contrast to the usually animated family dinners he's used to.

he steals a quick glance at rory, who is seated across from him, her eyes fixated on her plate. her are lips pressed into a thin line, and she refuses to even look up at him. the tension between them gnaws at him, creating an uncomfortable knot in his stomach.

he has no idea why rory is giving him the cold shoulder. just yesterday, they had been getting along better than they had in years, but now it's as if a wall has fallen between them. he misses their now easy banter and her genuine smile when she looks at him, something he's missed out on for so many years.

to his right, matt and nick are engaged in their own hushed conversation. they don't seem aware of the growing chasm between chris and rory. that, or they just don't care. either way, the grins worn by both of his brothers only emphasizes the awkwardness that chris currently feels.

chris sighs, feeling like he's navigating a minefield. he wonders what's gone wrong, but he honestly has no idea what he could've done.

he knows it's something though, because even mason, the most extroverted person chris knows, is unusually quiet. his normally animated face bears a strange solemnity, clearing showing that something's up.