Chapter 1 - Everything seems to be coming together

"The planet does not need more 'successful people'. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of all kinds." - Dalai Lama

Zen Valgustus sat at the head of the long table at the Winding Oak, the regular tavern for his engineering team, his wine glass raised in a long-awaited and much-deserved toast to them all.

"I must admit, I have never been so happy," he began. Wide smiles burst from his coworkers' lips. "And relieved," we went on. Kara's eyes crinkled. "And satisfied in my entire life." 'All one hundred and three years of it', he did not add. It sounded long to them, but as an elf, that put him at around twenty-five in human terms. It made him old enough to be experienced in their estimation, yet young enough in the elven sense to be daring. He thought it paid off.

He wore a finely made white tunic, tied with an embroidered yellow sash the color of dandelions. His arms were adorned with white henna, contrasted by his umber skin. Soft, honey-blond hair fell past his shoulders, and a smattering of iridescent freckles crossed his cheeks and nose. He found that the freckles made him both more approachable, and gave him a mystique that set him apart. The most striking of all, however, was the gentle, imposing grace of his antlers - nut brown, and branched like Natures crown upon his head.

"The ramp-up took its toll on all of us. The months of long hours. Marathon meetings. Code reviews. Lab testing. And finally, the launch and successful demonstration of our satellite system." Zen said the last with a gravity and gratitude that had the team cheering. If it drew the attention of the other patrons in the tavern Zen took no notice. His attention flitted to each team member as he soaked in the moment like a sponge. And as he thought of his connection to the work itself.

Machines were largely considered dead things, and elves found happiness in staying attuned to nature. But, Zen knew vividly, that electronics were natural. He controlled lightning, and by extension electricity, and he found great comfort in making such things work. A communion as surely as that of the Forest Folk that encouraged trees to grow and spread. Zens blood zinged with high amperage and slowed with strong resistance.

"This project may have started from my findings, but I could not have succeeded alone. SwarmSat's estimable engineers, operations specialists, business managers, lawyers, accountants - I could go on - turned a prototype into something that could not fail."

Though Zen was an elf, and the Fae had their lands and interests, life led him here among humanity. He was not the only one, of course. Many elves did the same, and humans lived in the elven lands as well. Take this dinner, for example. There were around twenty people around the table, and two of them were elves, including himself. Then, there was Brian from Engineering, Rob from Operations, and Jessica from Software - and their subordinates - who made up most of the rest of the table.

"Especially Kara," Zen went on.

"As long as you recognize that," she teased, though she was pleased.

His right-hand woman was literally at his right side tonight - Kara Nenonene. He couldn't have led them without her. Where he tended to get more exacting as deadlines loomed, she always saw the people behind the work - and she justly told him when he needed to stop being an ass. Not to mention her absolute brilliance - many of the breakthroughs were hers. And her algorithms - well, Zen could go on and on. She was also his best friend.

The last few months were very rough, but the last few days stretched Zen to his limits. He survived thanks to Kara. They brought their swarm to life, got them all talking, moved them into position, and tested out their functions. It was amazing and exhausting. Exhausting in a way that made Zen wonder whether elves were made to withstand the fast pace the way that humans did - seemed to thrive on. As it was, he was sure he needed at least a month to recuperate. And he could take that time, but tonight he celebrated.