Chapter 18 - Broken things

The group eventually made their way back to the chateau, with Reno's almost girlfriend Neela, and Noah the artist in tow. They sat in the plush living room, Zen resting his back along Kevyn's side, the Fire Elf's arm around his middle. Chay sat snuggled up to JC. Reno, Neela, and Noah led the light conversation about the expressiveness of paintings versus sculptures.

Zen let his mind wander. Reflected on the loveliness of the night they were having. The way Zen and Kevyn had danced next to the fire - circling each other and laughing, clinging close, and then changing partners. The way Zen had led Kevyn to his secret spot just outside of town. On the rooftop of the tallest apartment - four stories - where foliage was as lush and thick as it was on the ground. Almost like a grotto. And you could see the festivities in the distance, the dancers like moths circling the flames. A private moment that reminded Zen a little of their earliest days together, when they hid away in the woods near the school.

Then, when they rejoined the crowd, the Fairies convinced Kevyn to dance as the Fire Folk do - the musicians knew a few songs. The moment Kevyn saw the interest in Zen's eyes, he'd agreed. So the band put down their flutes and brought their drums forward. A young woman with butterfly wings offered him a skirt of large fronds, which Kevyn wrapped over his pants. The green leaves moved energetically as his body did.

Now, in the chateau, they played a low-stakes game of truth or dare. Nothing serious came up, they'd all had enough of heavy topics for the night. Things like: 'Balance your glass on one finger', and 'What celebrity do you want to do most?'.

Chay wound up on Reno's lap, speaking closely with Neela. Flirtatiously. Noah put his hand on JC's knee as they talked, and rubbed his thumb rhythmically. And the mood started shifting from the happy meeting of worlds that Zen had been feeling, to an uncomfortable confliction. Zen suggested to Kevyn that they go to bed, and he agreed. As they left, Zen heard Chay suggest that the remaining party move to his bedroom.

~

When Zen entered his home three days later, he saw that it was completely turned upside down. The coffee table was on its side, loose papers were scattered all over the floor, and some of his framed pictures were off the wall, glass shattered. The faces of Kara, Brock, Chay, and Kevyn, each like a mosaic impossible to decipher. Kevyn walked in behind him and pulled in a breath.

Chay hurried in behind. "Shit," he exclaimed.

Zen numbly walked further inside. He threw his jacket onto the sofa, looking at the mess without really seeing it. Until he saw his broken guitar. That stung. It looked like someone put it over their head and struck the ground with it. Splintered in half at the hollow. Kevyn placed a warm palm on his shoulder and Zen leaned into it before moving on.

The basket of Chay's little presents of pine cones, acorns, and stones - built up over decades and from all corners of the world - was empty on the ground, its contents strewn everywhere. The remnants of Kevyn's sweatshirt that he left behind was burnt, as well as the carpet underneath.

His mother was in the kitchen, reading from her phone at the small table there. She looked up when Zen entered the room, face inscrutable. "You've messed up, tii rak," she said, the endearment dulling the bludgeon of her words.

"I've noticed," Zen replied. "Who did this? Did you let them?"

"The Rashidis and Mandrakes did," she replied, then changed her focus to Kevyn. "I expect your home is much the same." After a pause, she went on, "There was no 'letting', it just happened. If you had come home, we could have had you both apologize and possibly avoid this."

"Apologize?" Kevyn asked, incredulous.

"He almost died," Zen spat.

"He was trespassing. Will you truly not come home?" she asked.

"I will not come home," Zen said slowly, and clearly. "And I will not apologize for having my own life."

"That's not the apology you need to make, and you know that," she replied, then paused, and said. "I know something about making a life different from what your family wants. I don't think badly of you for that," she said. "I simply cannot understand the path you've chosen."

Zen thought there would be no good in explaining himself. He's been trying to get through to them for decades. "I will never be as I was," he forged on instead. It felt so good to say that. To untether himself at last.

His mother closed her eyes as if taking a physical blow. "Then," she opened her eyes again, "go to my family in Chiang. They have no part in any of this, and they love you."

"I'll keep that in mind," Zen said, gratefully, and glad she wasn't going to argue with him. He always liked his Aunt, Uncle, and cousins on his mother's side, though he's seen them rarely. It was an option worth considering.

She hugged him then. Kissed his cheek, and left.

Zen didn't think he could speak. Instead, he started to pick up the shards of broken glass on the kitchen floor. He liked his dish set, he lamented. Kevyn got the broom and started sweeping. Chay used magic to make quick work of the rest, which saved Zen hours of work. Chay squeaked indignation at his scattered gifts.

~

After cleaning and taking stock of his things (his potions, laptop, and old pictures were okay), Zen started to answer the flurry of texts from his friends that they sent over the past few days.

When the trio went to Kevyn's house, it was indeed just as torn apart, and they got to work all over again. Kevyn kept it together but Zen could feel his fury and frustration. Zen hugged him, and it seemed to help them both. Both Kara and Brock would settle for nothing less than seeing him for themselves to make sure he wasn't dead, so he told them to meet at his house.

They picked up beer on the way and ordered pizza that arrived before his human friends did. Zen explained everything. There was no way around it - the shit has hit the fan, and it was going to get worse. If Zen wound up on the other side of the world, the two should see it coming.

When they were done explaining, Brock and Kara were speechless for a moment. Brock had poised his slice of pizza close to his mouth, and he was still frozen in that position.