Chapter 7 - my blessing

The Duke observed me silently for a moment, his intense gaze piercing through me. In his eyes, I could discern a multitude of unspoken words and unexpressed emotions. I sensed that he was not yet ready to reveal all of this. Finally, he broke the silence and spoke with a calm but determined voice, "You have fulfilled your part. You may return to your family now."

A pang of despair coursed through me. There was no way I could just leave like this. Not only would it be revealed that I was still alive, but my magic would also be exposed. That had to be prevented at all costs. My voice trembled slightly as I replied, "But what about the other sick people? What about those who still need help?"

The Duke pondered my words for a moment, his expression indicating that he was considering it, but then he shook his head slightly. "We will manage the rest on our own. Your help is no longer needed."

Panic surged through my body. This was not part of the plan. I couldn't give up now. "But I can help them. I can heal them!" I retorted, my voice growing increasingly shaky.

The Duke seemed surprised by my persistent reaction. He silently scrutinized me for a moment as I fought inwardly for a chance. Finally, he said, "I will consider it. You may leave now."

Before I could say anything more, the door behind me already swung open. I was gently escorted out as I cast one last glance toward the Duke. Wolfram entered the room and closed the door behind him, and I stood in front of the closed door for a moment longer.

From Wolfram's perspective:

Hikaru's face was pale as a sheet when he returned from the audience with the Duke. I could sense that something must have happened. Curious and concerned at the same time, I wondered what he had discussed with His Grace. "Your Grace, may I speak openly?" I asked. He nodded solemnly.

"It was strange that Duke Aurelius agreed to the contract without further conditions," I began hesitantly. "It makes sense that he sent his illegitimate son... but there's something about it that seems peculiar."

"Go on," he urged.

"His powers..." I started, "I have never seen anything like it before. I know the Aurelius family is renowned as the most powerful healers, but the way he healed the young prince... it was as if he performed a miracle right before my eyes. Why would they provide us, whom they only have contempt and scorn for, with such a powerful healer?"

The Duke fell silent for a moment, and I could see that my words occupied his thoughts. His face displayed clear signs of contemplation as he finally replied, "Duke Aurelius is someone you can't blindly trust. Perhaps he sent his son as a spy to gather information about our weaknesses and plans. Furthermore, we still don't know who is behind the outbreak of the disease. We cannot rule out that all of this was planned well in advance." Mistrust tinged his voice as he uttered these words. I understood that the Duke had to be cautious.

"Find out everything about him," the Duke commanded, emphasizing his determination. "Assign an experienced knight to keep an eye on the healer. We must ensure that he poses no threat to us."

"Yes, Your Grace," I responded respectfully, bowing deeply. The task was of great significance, and I was ready to undertake it. I set off to gather more information about the enigmatic healer and find a knight whom we could entrust with the important duty of surveillance.

Again from Haru's perspective:

I found myself back in my chamber, still shocked from the conversation with the Duke. My thoughts revolved incessantly around the question of how I could convince him to keep me by his side. Perhaps I should tell him the truth and explain why I am indispensable to him. I had to quickly come up with a plan. With that thought in mind, I sent the nature spirits to gather information about the estate, the staff, the land, and the residents. Every little piece of information could help me find a way to convince the Duke that he needed me.