Chapter 8 - my stressful day (2)

As the evening slowly descended and the gentle light of the candles filled the library, we decided to make our way back. My steps led me through the silent corridor until I finally entered my room and collapsed onto the soft bed. The room was illuminated by a warm glow emanating from the flickering candles, casting their gentle shadows on the walls. As I stretched out on the bed, my mind filled with the reports of the nature spirits, who told me about their experiences and insights.

Meanwhile, my gaze fell upon the desk that stood against one wall of the room. Resting on it was a stack of papers, neatly piled, and a feather. Filled with curiosity, I rose from the bed and walked purposefully toward the desk. The feather felt light in my hand, and I began to write down some of the most important information.

It was distressing to learn that there was not only the illness plaguing this community, but also the poor supply and living conditions. The icy winter months extended for the majority of the year, and it only got slightly warmer for a short period of two to three months when the snow subsided. The only hope for goods and support came from the distant kingdom of Sirenaia, where King Duvall ruled. However, the remote territory of Duke Drakonov not only struggled with the challenges of the cold weather, but also with the threat of numerous monsters dwelling in the surrounding mountains and forests. This regularly led to shortages and a lack of resources. Nevertheless, Duke Drakonov was rich due to his successful Mana Stone mine. In his rule, there were many knights, mercenaries, and miners, and one of his primary tasks was to fight the monsters and ensure the safety of his people. It was clear that his attention and efforts were mainly focused on strengthening the strength of his armies and defending the land. Haa... However, I had to focus on healing the sick first. One problem at a time.

Suddenly, Wolfram interrupted me, who stood unnoticed in my room. His voice softly entered my thoughts, "Apologies for the interruption, but the Duke is summoning you." Confused by my deep immersion in my thoughts, which made me overlook the knocking on the door, I quickly got up and followed Wolfram through the corridors of the castle. Our destination was the Duke's study, a room of impressive size and furnishings.

The walls were filled to the brim with books, their spines arranged in orderly rows representing the knowledge and history of the land. In the center of the room, two magnificent sofas faced each other, flanked by an elegant table. At the end of the room, there was a grand desk covered with papers carrying the weight of the Duke's responsibilities and concerns. Behind the desk was an impressive window that revealed a view of the majestic landscape.

The Duke was seated at the desk and rose as we entered the study. He walked calmly to one of the sofas and took a seat, while Wolfram positioned himself behind him. His voice sounded serious and tense as he spoke, "Have a seat." Obediently, I took a seat across from him on the other sofa.

My gaze swept over him, and for a moment, I couldn't take my eyes off his presence. His white shirt, with its sleeves casually rolled up and the top buttons undone, accentuated his well-shaped arms and broad chest. In the soft glow of the candles, he appeared even more attractive, his masculine figure surrounded by a warm aura. I couldn't help but lift my gaze to his neck and finally to his face. His eyes, as deep black as the darkness itself, captivated me. Yet it wasn't just their dark hues that fascinated me, but also the exceptionally long and dense eyelashes that gave his gaze a certain mysterious elegance. My attention shifted to his lips, which moved as he spoke.

"..." Both of them stared at me, and only now did I realize that I had been so absorbed in observing him that I hadn't listened to his words, even though his lips had clearly moved.

"Could you please repeat that?" I stammered, embarrassed to cover up my lack of focus.

"Haa... Thank you," he replied, slightly annoyed, and I felt the tense atmosphere between us thicken.