Chapter 16 - my first pact

When I heard a rustling in the snow-covered bushes, I slowly lifted my face from my arms and listened attentively. The nature spirits swirled around me, but something had caught their attention. My gaze focused on the bushes, their branches swaying gently in the icy wind. Curiosity drove me closer. Carefully, I pushed the branches aside and peered into the depths of the bush.

There, I discovered something fluffy and black, curled up into a small bundle. At first, I looked back at Raven and Isabella, who watched me attentively from a safe distance. To avoid scaring the creature, I decided not to call them over.

My attention returned to the animal and I noticed red spots in the snow near it. Was it injured? As a precaution, I applied my healing magic to the animal. It immediately started to move. Surprise washed over me as I realized it was a cat. It was the first time I had seen a cat in this world. Its pointed ears and long, fluffy fur fascinated me. The cat opened its large, round, violet eyes and rose to its feet. Its fur shimmered with a purple-blue hue.

Although it was a wild creature, I couldn't resist the urge to pet it. I gently extended my hand and watched the animal closely, whispering softly, "I won't harm you... I just want to touch you for a moment, please." It sat still, staring into my eyes. Then I felt it – my hand touched the silky, soft fur.

In that moment, all my sadness and shame seemed to vanish. I wanted to bury my whole face in its fur. The cat appeared so tame and lovable. It was likely that she already belonged to someone. "I'll help you find your way home," I promised as I carefully lifted the cat from the bush. She was cute and cuddly. In my heart, I wished to keep her, but I knew it wasn't an option, especially if she already had someone who was probably desperately searching for her.

I approached Isabella and Raven with the little cat in my arms. "I found a lost kitten," I told them, raising the fluffy creature. They stared at the animal in my arms. Raven drew his sword and warned me with a stern tone, "That's not a cat. Drop it immediately. It's extremely dangerous." Isabella added hurriedly, "It's a demon beast."

"Demon beast?" It was hard to believe because before me sat a tiny, innocent-looking kitten. Isabella continued to explain, "Demons can take the form of animals, monsters or humans. They possess great magical powers and are extremely merciless."

A demon... this sweet little creature? I hesitated for a moment because I really had no idea how dangerous demons could be in this world. Perhaps I should listen to Raven and Isabella. But then, I heard a soft "Meow," and my heart stopped. The sweet cat meowed, looking at me with its big, round eyes, full of need.

"Can't I really keep him?" I whispered sadly to myself, looking at Raven and Isabella with pleading eyes. Isabella sighed and said, "I will report to the Duke. In the meantime, I'll leave the demon beast in your care." She nodded to Raven and walked away. Raven lowered his sword, but he kept it within reach, his gaze fixed on the demon beast.

I really didn't want to meet Tatsuya now, especially after the incident this morning. I looked at the cat and held it in front of me. "Are you really a demon?" The cat remained silent, of course not understanding my words. I couldn't quite grasp the fuss surrounding the situation. Maybe black cats were considered bad luck here and were thus labeled as demon beasts?

While I contemplated, Tatsuya arrived with Sir Silberstein and a group of knights. They were all armed and in their combat gear. "Step away from the demon beast immediately," Tatsuya commanded me. My emotions were still wounded from this morning and now he was scolding me again. "No!" I shouted back, enraged by the whole situation. It all just got to me. Everyone stared at me in disbelief. "He hasn't done anything and I'm going to keep him!" I declared rebelliously and stormed off towards the estate.