Bend the Rules

Third Person P.O.V

Everyone was in high spirits, tents with food and games set up in a large field. A man runs forward carrying a large log, grunting as he throws it in the air. It lands on the top, making people cheer.

It slowly falls, and lands on a very unlucky man's foot.

He screams in pain, making his friend sigh and wince.

...

A man swings a heavy ball, playing hammer throw, and releases it, making it go soaring.

Another man tosses a heavy weight up and over a high beam.

...

The girl people thought were Dingwall's daughter was playing tug of war, easily winning over three girls. She yanks the rope and all thee girls topple in the mud, the brunette girl flexing as the crowd cheers.

Dancer girls bounce onstage, dazzling the crowd of people as they cheer.

A ball flies and lands, the ground rumbling as men race after it and one hits it away, effectively hitting a bagpipe player.

Children scream in glee as a man lowers a stick bear, roaring. They smack it with their wooden swords as the man continues roaring.

Maudie was currently flirting with a stranger from one of the clans, (Y/N) softly yawning as she looks up. She pauses, catching a glimpse of the boys above her on the tent, making her smile in amusement.

She swipes three of the sweet rolls and tosses them up, and they successfully catch them and stuff them in their faces.

That wasn't enough to satisfy them, and they lower down with a rope around their waist to get to the sweet rolls.

He swipes a few and grunts as his brother pulls him up, making Maudie pause and look at (Y/N), who smiles innocently as she tilts her head. Maudie smiles back and turns away, but then hears munching and definitely sees the culprit this time.

She moves the platter just as they lowered to grab more and the three fall into the barrel, and she slams the plate on them.

"Now! I have told you! You're not allowed--" Maudie was cut off as the barrel starts running away, the sweet rolls on top.

Maudie chases them as (Y/N) laughs, making her way to the royal tent.

The boys manage to get away from Maudie as she trips, stuffing their faces before joining their parents.

A loud bear horn roars, making Fergus' dogs howl.

...

(Y/N) P.O.V

"It's time!" Fergus bellows, to the crowd.

The crowd cheers and I sigh, looking at the targets lined up. I stood next to Elinor's throne, a frown on my face.

"Archers, to your marks!" Elinor shouts to the clans, nodding to them.

"Aye! Archers, to your marks!" Fergus repeats as he waves his hand for them to start.

"And may the lucky arrow find its target," Elinor finishes with a smile.

I glance to Merrick, only to see him already looking at me. He smirks and lifts his eyebrows, making me raise a brow as he kicks something behind his throne while winking at me. I tilt my head, my cheeks feeling a tad bit warmer as I quickly face forward when Elinor glances at me.

The clan leader's daughters all line up in front of their targets, Macintosh's daughter winking at the crowd as the guys cheer for her. MacGuffin's daughter was a bit shyer, looking around nervously sheepishly. And Dingwall's daughter...?