Wood Carver

...

(Y/N)'s P.O.V

Merrick tightly holds my hand as we continue following the wisps, and Angus lightly snorts in fear.

"It's okay," I softly coo, making him neigh and nudge my shoulder with his snout as he continues to follow us.

Merrick halts walking as I flinch at a nearby twig snapping, gently squeezing my hand.

"It's alright," he speaks, "it's only a deer, see?"

I follow his finger, and I gasp and smile at the sight of a small doe with her mother. She nudges her young one, and they disappear into the woods after a moment, a smile on my face.

"They were so cute!" I quietly exclaim, shaking Merrick as he chuckles fondly.

"Aye, they were," he grins at me, and we both fall silent as another wisp appears, Merrick pulling me with him as he follows it.

"We've never been this far in the woods..." I mumble with concern, looking around uneasy as the sun sets.

"We never have," Merrick agrees, "but don't worry. I'll protect you."

He squeezes my hand again, and before I could respond, he stops, making me stop as well due to his hand in mine. Ahead of us was a small clearing, a cottage pressed against a cliffside. The last wisp whispers to us softly before disappearing, leaving us confused.

"Why would the wisps lead us here?" Merrick mumbles, more to himself than to me.

Angus lowly neighs as his ears flicker, and Merrick and I slowly approach the door to the cottage.

Merrick pushes the door open, making a bell tinkle softly as we both enter.

"Uh..." He mumbles, and I raise a brow while looking around.

... A wood carver shop? In the middle of nowhere?

Wooden bear statues and other bear figurines litter the cottage, hanging from above and hanging on walls.

Merrick nearly hits his head on a beam as he looks around due to his height, making me snicker as he glares at me playfully while rubbing his head.

"Oh! Look around, dears!" I jump at the sudden voice, spinning around to see a old woman wielding a small hammer and a wood carving tool. "You holler if ya see anything you like!" She smiles at us, going back to work. "Everything is half off."

"Uh..." Merrick glances around, "who are ya?"

"Just a humble woodcarver," the woman replies, shrugging. She grabs a broom and begins to sweep the wood shavings from the floor.

"I'm confused," I mumble to Merrick, and he nods, picking up a small bear bowl.

I lean over and look at it as he inspects it.

"... I don't understand," he whispers to himself.

I gasp and jump, clinging to Merrick's arm as the woman suddenly appears next to me.

How in world did she...

"See anything you like?" She questions with a grin, letting go of her broom and rushing to a bear toy carving. "Perhaps a touch of whimsy to brighten any dark chamber?"

"But the will-o'-wisps... They..." Merrick stammers out.

"Oh! This one is one of a kind!" The woman interrupts Merrick, showing another bear toy. The bear's head moves, trying to catch fish. "I'll make ya a deal for this rare prize. Couple's discount!"