Torn Bond

Third Person P.O.V

(Y/N) hastily follows after Elinor and Merrick, trying not to be seen as he was dragged through the halls by his mother and thrown into the king and queen's chambers.

"Michty me!" Merrick grunts as he catches himself, spotting (Y/N) behind his mother a ways off, quickly shaking his head for her to not intervene as (Y/N) hesitates. "I've just about had enough of you, lad!"

Merrick scowls as he faces his mother, Elinor glancing back over her shoulder when she notices him looking behind her.

"You're the one that wants me to marry someone who I don't--"

(Y/N) flinches as Elinor spots her, cutting Merrick off.

"You get in here, too!" Elinor firmly yells, making the (H/C) haired girl jump and rush inside, her heart hammering as she joins Merrick's side "Och, I should've known you two would've done something like this!"

Merrick steps in front of (Y/N), shaking his head. "She didn't have anything to do with--"

"You embarrassed them. You embarrassed me!" Elinor yells sternly, cutting him off.

"I followed the rules," Merrick smugly says back, making (Y/N) wince a bit as she looks from him to Elinor.

"You don't know what you've done!" Elinor slams the door shut, the slam echoing a bit as she marches back towards him.

"You just don't care--" Merrick starts, once again cut off by his mother.

"It'll be fire and sword if it's not set right," Elinor growls with worry, gritting her teeth as she glares at her son.

(Y/N) steps forward, tentatively speaking in an attempt to calm the two. "My lady, please, just listen to him--"

"I am the Queen! You listen to me!" Elinor yells and cuts her off, making (Y/N) shrink back as she quickly looks down.

Merrick steps in front of his best friend with aggravated yell, shaking his head. "This is so unfair!"

Elinor lets out a laugh of disbelief, "Unfair?!"

"You're never there for me!" Merrick starts as he stomps towards a weapon display, drawing a sword. "This whole marriage is what you want. Did you ever think to ask me who... what I want?! No!"

He starts to angrily swing his sword as he paces around, (Y/N) watching him with concern.

"You walk around tellin' me what to do, what not to do, trying to make me be like you!" He gestures the sword at her before taking a deep breath, trying to calm himself as he shakes his head.

"He isn't going be like you, my lady." (Y/N) quietly finishes, trying to make the Queen see the light. "He's his own person, and he... should be allowed to follow his own heart."

Elinor's eyes narrow as her jaw clenches, her posture straightening as she speaks with exasperation. "(Y/N), please stay out of this! You're just a maid, and this is between my son and I!"

(Y/N) flinches at her harsh words, Merrick's expression darkening as his hand tightens on the sword's handle.

Merrick snarls as he approaches the tapestry, aiming his sword at the woven image of Elinor. "And you're a beast. That's what you are!!"

"Merrick!" Elinor gasps with wide eyes as the sword starts to cut the stitching, (Y/N) quickly looking over and shaking her head quickly.

"I'll never be like you," Merrick says through clenched teeth, his sword piercing through the fabric. "And (Y/N) is not 'just a maid'!"