Chapter 6

Weayaya POV

Carrying Rokiyah back proved to be a burdensome task, especially after the unending chase triggered by her. Yet, I understood the seriousness of the situation and the need for her immediate medical attention.

With unwavering perseverance, I meticulously followed the path known solely to our tribe, mindful not to disturb anything that could exacerbate her condition.

Fortunately, the forest floor offered respite, although the upcoming journey pledged a collection of challenging terrains we must conquer to reach my tribe. Despite the obstructions, her weight remained manageable, permitting me to bring her safely to where my loyal horse, Takchawee, patiently awaited. But the challenge remained: how would I transport both her and myself atop the horse simultaneously?

Directing Takchawee to lie down, I gently positioned her sideways upon his sturdy frame. With utmost care, I mounted him, then reached into a pocket nestled within the horse's satchel, retrieving a length of rope. Assuring her security, I securely affixed her body to mine, guaranteeing she wouldn't falter during the 8 hour journey to my tribe.

As I had traveled pretty far out but it was to guarantee nobody else found where we resided. Even though I was now carrying her to where we resided but that was neither here nor there. The irony was not lost on me—of all the encounters in the forest, it had to be a woman.

A woman whom, despite our unfamiliarity and her intentions, I couldn't bear the thought of harming. Thus, I found myself leading her back to my tribe.
My mind swirled with uncertainty. How would my father and mother react? What judgments would my tribe pass upon this unexpected act? Above all, I dreaded facing my sister's wrath.

Even now, her simmering anger reached me, despite the distance that separated us, heightening the weight of the impending journey and the revelation awaiting her. The thought crossed my mind, enticing me to leave Rokiyah behind right then and there. However, my promise to care for and assist her held me steadfast.
Within my tribe, a promise was not to be taken lightly.

Once given, it bound you irrevocably, for infringing upon it would summon the wrath of the great spirit upon oneself. I couldn't bear to risk such consequences to come upon me or my people. Thus accelerating our return to the safety of my tribe became paramount.
And so, our journey began.

Time pressed upon us. Leaving with it no room to indulge in the breathtaking sights that our land had to offer, as I frequently did. Our territory boasted a diverse exhibition of terrains, transitioning seamlessly from lush grasslands to rugged rocks, from soft sands to shimmering waters.

We had towering cliffs and majestic mountaintops, galavant creeks, and rumbling waterfalls. Lakes and rolling hills graced our land, encompassing nearly every natural wonder one could imagine.
Though keen to hasten our return, I took meticulous care to guarantee Rokiyah's comfort and undisturbed slumber.

There were instances during our passage through the mountains when she stirred, but her rest remained undisturbed. Appreciation filled my heart for the absence of rain during our journey as if the heavens understood my inner turmoil and knew exactly how to affect me.

As we neared the vicinity of my tribe, a flicker of hope flared within me when I spotted a group of horses in the distance.

Drawing closer, I determined that it was my people, venturing along to welcome me home after my long journey. Their sight filled me with immense gratitude, momentarily causing me to forget that Rokiyah remained bound to me.

As a result, when they rode up to greet me, confusion clouded their expressions, leaving me confused until the realization struck—Rokiyah was still bound to my body and I to hers.

Embarrassment came in a wave causing my feet to heat up and my stomach to turn but I tried to maintain a blank facial expression to show that I wasn't affected.

Quickly, I proceeded to recite the events that unfolded, sharing the story of our unforeseen meeting and my decision to bring her back with me. The responses from my tribespeople varied greatly, each echoing a unique blend of emotions. Some resorted to light-hearted jokes, teasingly acknowledging the unusual sight before them, while others considered

Rokiyah and me with reflective contemplation.
It was as though they sensed a deeper implication underlying the situation, an implicit understanding that there was more to the story than what meets the eye. I was just glad my best friend Hota wasn't there as he would have laughed his butt off seeing me in this situation. Causing even more embarrassment to me than what I was already feeling.

Upon our return to the tribe, I was greeted by my younger sister, her countenance already bearing the weight of knowledge passed down from those who arrived ahead of me. An ominous expression loomed, foreshadowing an impending lecture that I could almost anticipate.

Yet, at this moment, I couldn't afford to engage in such discourse. The priority lay in ensuring Rokiyah's safe arrival at my Tipi, where she could find respite and recover from the arduous journey we had endured together. Dealing with my sister's ire would have to wait for a more opportune time, as now was not the moment.

With utmost care, I carried Rokiyah to my Tipi and tenderly placed her upon a cushion of buffalo fur, made by hand, and enveloped her in a lovingly woven blanket. The sound of my sister's weighty footsteps echoed behind me, her anger palpable and awaiting its release. I braced myself for the imminent lecture, counting down mentally—3, 2, 1.

"You know better than to bring outsiders into our sacred space," she reprimanded, her tone heavy with displeasure.

"I couldn't ignore the pull of my spirit telling me she needed help, and to do her no harm. It was an impulse I couldn't resist, despite having treated others in a different way before. She is distinct from the foreigners that we have met before. Her spirit is totally bright, you'll understand what I'm saying once you help her".

"Help her"?, "Why would I assist a stranger, an outsider who holds no worth"?

"True, she is indeed a stranger, an outsider. However, I believe she deserves help because I feel it deep within. Just go over to her  and witness it for yourself. See if you too sense that same calling".

"Weayaya!", "I can't believe you right now".

"What would Father and Mother think of you?

"We promised to protect the tribe and ensure their safety!"

My sister stooped to a new low, bringing up our parents when they had just faced such tragedy.

"Just go", I urged her, "and take a good look at her". Meanwhile, I'll step outside to cool down. The air here has become stifling.