Chapter Eleven

Before the game started and while the Hurricanes and Sharks were out on the ice for warmups, I decided to grab a quick meal from one of the food stands on the concourse.

I got myself a chicken sandwich and a large Coca-Cola, with a bag of sour gummies. I used my own card to pay for the food, which came out to about twenty dollars.

To start the first period, the Canes and Sharks went back and forth on their rushes, before the Sharks were able to get one past Frederik Andersen to gain the early lead.

"Damn," I muttered as the entire arena went silent except for the few San Jose fans in attendance celebrating their goal.

"San Jose goal, his first goal of the season, scored by number ten, Evgeny Svechnikov, assisted by number five Matthew Benning and number thirty-nine Logan Couture. Time of goal, 5:23,"

Svechnikov? I wondered, but I shrugged it off.

I took a sip of my soda and continued watching the rest of the first period, which Carolina was not able to tie it up.

I sighed and went on my phone during the first intermission.

The second period wasn't filled with much action, either, other than another San Jose goal to extend their lead to two.

Come on boys, I thought.

Carolina's first line came out with two minutes left in the second period, which included Teuvo Teräväinen at left wing, Jesperi Kotkaniemi at center, and Andrei Svechnikov at right wing. The defensemen on the ice with the forwards were Jaccob Slavin and Brady Skjei.

"You know, I hope Carolina can pull off the comeback. Your brother is supposed to take me out to dinner afterwards, and I don't want him in a bad mood because they lost," said someone to my right, so I turned my head in that direction of the noise.

My eyes widened as I saw Whitney sitting right next to me. "Holy shit, I didn't realize you were sitting right there," I said, almost in relief. I was sitting by myself for the entire game to that point, which was quite surprising, especially on Carolina's opening night.

She chuckled. "Surprise! Anyways, I heard about your confrontation with Andrei's ex. Ansa was telling me about it since she saw it a few sections down while I was going to the bathroom. She seemed extremely pushy," she said.

I groaned in response. "She literally was demanding that I give up my seat because that's where she sat whenever she came to Andrei's games. I wonder why she's in the States,"

"Probably to get her ex back, which isn't happening. Andrei seems too attached to you," Whitney giggled, which was most definitely true.

I chuckled as I sipped on my Coca-Cola. "Oh, I know. He always needs to know what I'm doing," I responded, then I glanced back at the hockey game in front of us. Carolina was in their offensive zone, with Teuvo having possession of the puck by the left face off circle to the San Jose goaltender.

"Does Andrei have a brother or something?" Whitney asked. "Cause there's a player on San Jose with the last name of Svechnikov as well,"

"You know, I was wondering that. He scored in the first period and I've been thinking about that since. I'll ask Andrei after the game," I responded, twisting the cap of the soda bottle shut.

Whitney nodded her head.

Jaccob passed the puck to Andrei on the other side of the ice. Andrei hesitated to shoot, then he ricocheted the puck toward the net.

The puck flew towards the crossbar, and went over the goaltender's left shoulder and into the goal.

All of the Carolina fans in attendance stood up and cheered as the goal horn blared and lights flashed within the arena. The graphic "Goal!" played around the arena as the players that were on the ice huddled together and celebrated the goal.