Meaning of Faith

The Ark was just like what you expected Noah's Ark to be... Dark and cramped. No one had thought to turn on the lights, instead opting for natural lighting. There would be more room if every girl didn't have two pieces of luggage with her or if there weren't over thirty girls jammed inside the building.

Of course you counted! There was nothing better to do. No phones or other electronics allowed at Camp Bethel! Not even an air circulator. You didn't know how you were going to get through the steamy summer nights. God knew they didn't have air conditioning.

You noticed most of the girls added some sort of accent to their uniform. A belt, a hair accessory, a piece of jewelry... You wish you had gotten the memo that was allowed.

Luckily, you weren't left people-watching for too long. Once girl number thirty-five walked in, Nurse Thorne took to the podium at the front of the room.

"Girls, may I please have your attention?" She politely requested, and the few that had been conversing went quiet. "I want to say a few things, then we'll hear from one of our camp counselors, before I assign cabins and let you all get settled in. Good?" She didn't wait long enough for anyone to voice their complaints before saying, "Good."

"Welcome to Camp Bethel! You are here as a part of God's plan. HIS spirit moved each of you to sign up for this retreat, which is a unique experience that will challenge you in new and profound ways.

"Bethel is a place to find meaning in the highs and the lows of your life. Over these next three months, you will hear from your peers and be invited to open up as well. It will strengthen your relationship with yourself but, most importantly, Jesus."

It took you a little while to realize this was the end of her speech. The obligatory applause from the small crowd was what tipped you off. You clapped as well, thankful it was so brief.

"Now, I have someone else here who wants to say a couple words. She started out as a camper herself before returning as a camp counselor. Returning campers already know her and love her... Rosasharon Johnson!"

Suddenly, most of the campers broke out into enthusiastic cheers. That's when you perked up. Who was this girl, to elicit such a response? Luckily, you were standing close enough to the podium to get a good look at her.

She stood eye-to-crystal-blue-eye with Nurse Thorne, who was in no way a short woman. She either had a pear-shaped figure or doubled up on her petticoat.

Her hair was magnificent! It was long, red, and curly. It ended a little ways past her butt. You didn't know whether she was a ginger or a strawberry blonde. Her baby pink skin tone and constellation of freckles made you lean towards ginger.

She added a number of white bows to her uniform. One sat atop her head, one was tied around her neck, and another was tied around her waist. The one around her waist was facing forward and had a sacred heart brooch pinned to the middle. You couldn't help but admire the glow of the red garnet under the stream of sunlight peeking through the skylight.

Then she cleared her throat and started to speak. Her voice was high and breathy, like a baby doll's.

"I'd like to thank Nurse Thorne for allowing me to speak to you today and all of you for being here." There was genuine joy in her voice. She was practically vibrating with excitement.

Still, her tone got low and somber as she continued, "I know, I know... Some of you may not be here of your own free will, rather as a part of your parents' plan for you. I myself had to be dragged here kicking and screaming my first summer."

Your brows raised at this admission. But she brightened in her next sentence, clapped her hands together once.

"But I encourage you to get everything you can out of this experience and always have faith! Now, you may be asking yourself, 'Have faith? What does that even mean?' Well, think about your life! Where you are, what you've done... Does it give you purpose? Do you feel fulfilled?

"Or do you feel lost? Adrift in a sea of uncertainty... It's natural to try and find meaning in our lives. Try to make sense, find order. But we can't. Because life doesn't come from order.

"Life comes from chaos. Life is pain and loss and tragedy. We are born into a world that feeds on our suffering and, after it has had its fill, we are discarded. No one cares about us. No one sees us..."

Here, she paused for dramatic effect, as well as to take a deep breath.

"Except... God. When no one else loves you, He does. When no one else believes in you, He does. When no one else can understand you or see the worth in you, He does. Because He has faith in you. Faith is what carries us through crises and uncertainty and relentless, punishing chaos of life.

"Never lose faith," she stressed before giving a big smile to the crowd. "Thank you for listening and opening your hearts to my message."

The Ark was completely silent for a minute, before everyone woke from their trance and it erupted into applause. After a beat of contemplation, you reluctantly joined in.

You had to admit she was a terrific public speaker. She would make a fantastic youth minister when she got older. But you lived your entire life without knowing God. A single summer wasn't likely to turn you into a true believer.

Nurse Thorne returned to the podium after patting Rosasharon on the back with a proud little grin. "No, thank you, Rosasharon! Now for cabin assignments... For those of you who are new here, there are seven group cabins, named after the seven heavenly virtues.

"Cabins are situated on the outskirts of the campgrounds and have their name carved into a board above the door. Each cabin comes with a camp counselor. They will be your personal guides for this summer.

"You may leave The Ark once you get your cabin assignment. First is Faith..."

You blocked out the list of names while keeping track of the cabin names, looking for your own. Luck would have it, you were the last one to be called.

"Last is Temperance... Dinah Avidan, Chaeyoung Ryu, Louise Brown, and Y/N L/N."

You looked around the recreational center, hoping to catch a glimpse of your cabinmates early, maybe even walk there together... But they must have hauled ass out of there as soon as they heard their names called. You were all alone with Nurse Thorne.

She smiled at you once more, before saying, "Once again, Y/N, welcome to Camp Bethel. I look forward to helping you on your spiritual journey."

Yeah, yeah... Something about her still gave you goosebumps. You nodded but didn't reply, just quickly scurried to the exit with your duffle bag.