Rabbit-Hearted Girl

It turned out that Camp Bethel had therapy animals: a whole colony of emotional support rabbits. During one activity time, the camp counselors passed around the rabbits until every girl had a bunny in their arms.

You rocked and shushed the small animal, stroked your fingers down its back and pressed kisses to its velvety ears.

They were tiny as newborns, all white with pink and red eyes. You had to admit, it was a reassuring weight in your arms. You still couldn't help but feel a little bad for the rabbit, though. You could feel how hard and fast its heart was beating. Like the White Rabbit in Alice In Wonderland, each bunny had a nervous look to it.

These animals had nothing to worry about here, though. They lived in a big grassy pen with plenty of food and water readily available and no predators. Better for them to be at a bible camp than a science lab. Whether they'd prefer the wild to captivity was another question altogether.

One of the camp counselors tried to turn this into a learning experience. "As women, we should be more like rabbits. These days, there's all this talk of God versus science, but it seems like, with babies, both sides agree. The Bible says be fruitful and multiply, and science, well, when it all boils down to it, that's what women were made for. To bear children."

"I'd be happy to make like a rabbit if this camp was co-ed," you heard one of the campers whisper. Some of her friends let out scandalized gasps while others giggled.

"Apparently, Camp Bethel has a brother camp further up in the mountains. It's miles away, though. Too bad," her friend shared.

The bunny was proving a better therapist than Nurse Thorne... At least until it kicked you, hard, in the breast with its hind legs in order to jump out of your arms. It hit the ground running, darting for the tree line.

"Shit!" You cried. You didn't know the consequences of losing one of the camp's emotional support animals and you didn't want to find out. You gave chase.

"Y/N!" One of the camp counselors shouted after you. Was she berating you for swearing or for losing the rabbit? Well, you could only fix one of those two things. You should focus on that first and foremost.

You kept the bunny in sight through thickets and brambles, followed its twists and turns until it dove into a mid-sized hole in the brush. It was gone in an instant, but you refused to give up. You dropped to your knees and crawled through the thorn bushes.

Good news was you found your rabbit. Bad news was you were nearly face to face with a wolf.

It was bigger than you imagined, even larger than the large dogs you'd seen. It would look regal if not for the blood on its chops and the rabbit hanging limply from its jaws.

Were wolves supposed to be active during the day? Was this wolf rabid? The only thing worse than being killed by a wolf was being bitten by a rabid wolf. Then you had to keep on living and get a gazillion shots to prevent rabies.

You heard somewhere that if you meet a dangerous animal in the wild you should make yourself look as big as possible and back away slowly. That boat kind of sailed, seeing as you were on your hands and knees. Oh well, maybe that only worked on bears anyway. You settled for staying frozen in place and hoping it just walked away.

No such luck. It dropped the dead rabbit and slowly approached you, getting right up in your face and sniffing you. You screwed your eyes shut tight and prayed it would go away once its curiosity had been satisfied.

That's when you heard a throaty growl from somewhere behind you. Fantastic! There were two wolves! God only knew how much of your body Camp Bethel would recover for your grieving mother if you got eaten by two wolves.

Surprisingly enough, the first wolf didn't attack you. At the sound of the growl, it quickly turned around with its tail between its legs, grabbed its dead quarry, and ran away.

You turned around slowly to see what kind of predator could scare off a wolf, and saw your camp counselor standing there, glaring in the wake of the animal.

"Elizabeth!" You sighed in relief, climbing to your feet and rushing over to hug her. "You saved me! Thank you!"

She remained ridged as a board, didn't return your gentle embrace. She looked down at you and growled a second time. "What are you doing out here alone?"

"I dropped one of the camp's rabbits and it ran this way."

"So what? We have, like, a hundred. Mother refuses to get any of them neutered. Says it's against God's plan. Really, I think she just doesn't want to foot the vet bill."

You giggled and snorted at that little comment. She looked at you like you were a something under a microscope.

"Come along," she sighed at last, taking you by the wrist and leading you in the direction you came from. "Let's get back to camp. I'll get you another rabbit."

"Okay," you said with a small sigh. Then curiosity got the better of you and you asked, "How did you learn to do that?"

"Do what?"

"That growl that scared off the wolf."

You watched as her shoulders visibly tensed. "It's just something I could always do."

Wow... You couldn't believe Elizabeth of all people was a furry.