Writing on The Wall

Once you were out of the sights of that god awful woman, you leisurely strolled around the campgrounds. You spent a long time admiring the sunlight glimmering off the lake. Admittedly, you were just dragging your feet, trying to dredge up the dread in you.

The Divorce meant that you were an only child. You'd never had a roommate before, let alone three! What if they hated you? What if you hated them? You wanted a safe space, somewhere you could retreat to when all the Jesus talk got too much.

You did your best to calm yourself, say so what? You could always use your cabin as just a place to sleep and find another safe space. You could cry your eyes out in the shower or walk deep into the woods and scream.

Feeling a little better, you finally started actively looking for Temperance. You came upon it after walking the perimeter of the grassy area again.

It was a little different than the other cabins. It was half situated in the forest, whereas the others were at least a couple feet from the tree line. It looked like the wilderness was moving to take it back.

It also had a fresh, or fresher, coat of white paint. You wondered why that might be. If you were painting one cabin, why not paint them all?

That's when you noticed something off about the wood planks on the front of Temperance. You thought the texture of the wood was just unusually rough, but no. There was something carved there... You walked closer and leaned forward to examine it further.

It took you a little while to decipher, as there was more than one word, etched one right on top of the other. When you were finally able to read what was written in the wood, you had to blink a few times to ensure your eyes weren't playing tricks on you.

DROP DEAD. GO HOME. FREAKS. DEVIL-WORSHIPPERS. WITCHES.

What the hell?! Who the fuck wrote that?! And why?!

"Hello."

You spun around in surprise, clutching your chest as your heart threatened to beat right out of it. There was a girl standing no more than a foot behind you, close enough for your skirts to brush when you turned around.

She must have been older than you, because she was over a head taller. She was also slender like a reed. Everything about her seemed to suggest she was an elf masquerading among mundane humans.

Her hair was light blonde, straight as a pin, and hung past her waist. Her complexion was pale and near spotless, except for two beauty marks on her right cheek.

She was dressed in the same uniform as you, but hers was accented with wildflowers in pastel colors. Most notable were her flower belt and flower crown.

Her bright green, half-lidded eyes seemed to be sizing you up. Whatever she saw in you, it was obvious she didn't like it. She unclasped her arms from behind her back -your eyes caught on the many bandages covered them- and crossed them over her chest instead.

Then she heaved a sigh. Her breath ghosted over your face.

She didn't seem bothered by your nearness, but you took a big step back as soon as you were sure you weren't about to have a heart attack. That put your back against the cabin exterior, though.

"You scared me!" You said, trying to keep the accusation out of your tone. She likely didn't do it on purpose... She made no move to apologize, however.

"You're Y/N L/N, right? I'm Elizabeth Thorne. You're in my cabin, so I'll be your camp counselor this summer," she clarified.

"Thorne? Does that mean-"

Her severe frown turned into a grimace of a smile. It looked forced, almost painful. "Nurse Thorne is my mother. I know, I have some very big shoes to fill." Creepiness must run in the family.

After a brief, awkward silence, she uncrossed her arms to motion towards the cabin door. "Would you like to come inside and meet the rest of the girls?" There was a question mark at the end of her statement, but you had a sinking feeling she wasn't really asking.

"Uh, yeah! Sure! I'd love to..." You lied through your teeth.