Chapter 1 - Rebirth of a Warrior

((Note: Don't forget to VOTE this chapter if you enjoy this chapter <3))

There was a cold winter breeze on a blackened night. A melodic tune played from the feathered fellows inside of the oak forest. A curtain of white dots glossed onto the black canvas. Each little dot glowed bright upon the faces of the two men and each critter inside the oak trees glanced to see. The knights traveled through the darkened forest. The clanking metal disturbed the creatures of the night and without a second glance, they would disappear back into their homes.

"How much longer must we venture," whined the more diminutive guard who was struggling to keep up with his comrade. The knight was average height for one in their twenties and possessed a youthful and shaved face. The crescent moon beamed a pathway for the two guards as they flattened the sticks below them and stepped over the mossy barked logs.

"Asher, must you nag me?" The other knight didn't have a crinkle of movement on his face: instead, it was gentle. He possessed a greater composer than the other. His locks were a clear golden-honey hue, although his face did not show; he was much older and far taller.

"Eren, we have been venturing through this thicket all night. Look at the sky." He pointed upwards to the gleaming moon.

"Asher, must I remind you why we are here."

"For the sake of the village, I know," Asher groaned. "I've ingrained this phrase, like a rhyme from my youth. I promise you Eren, wholeheartedly, it will be fine if we skip patrol just this onc"

"The moment we let our guard down is the moment they will strike," Eren stated sternly.

"It's the middle of the night! Not even crime itself would be awake." Asher snapped, whilst throwing his arms straight up.

"The perfect time for 'the ministry' to be out." Eren looked around his surroundings intently searching for something that didn't exist.
"They will nor hurt or capture you Eren," he touched Eren's shoulder. "This is a deserted town that merchants won't even touch."

In an instant, Eren turned back to face Asher. "I am not afraid of being captured; I fear that they will take the ones I hold dear."

"If somehow, the ministry did find us, we would not be prepared. I'm exhausted Eren and I know you're as well."

Eren paused abruptly, his posture fixed upright, though not a single statement slipped from his lips. Asher pitched in, knowing just a slight bit more convincing would lead to a compromise. "Just this once Eren? You have my word; everything will be all right."

"Fine, we can head back-." Eren's relaxing gaze turned to distress in an abrupt second as a thunderous crackle echoed the atmosphere. Following instantly, was a claw of light, shredding the sky. Tiger-orange streaks of flame burst and went, beaming to the floor of the Meluna. Eren's chest tightened but his eyes followed the burst, and soon Eren shot out into the forest. Hurtling over every log or rock in his path. Intensely focused on reaching the flame before it goes out. He didn't need to look around to see if trouble was lurking next to him, since it was always in the back of his mind. Eren knew Asher was just behind. Asher's silent footsteps dashing through the leaves would have been barely noticeable if it were someone else, anyone other than Eren himself.

"What was that?" Asher huffed and soon they were reaching close to the docks along the sandy shore.

"I don't know, but- " Eren quickly stopped and took out his sword. He held it between both hands in front of his chest. Within moments, Asher's front leg plummeted to the ground to prevent him from going past Eren. Asher grabbed the bow, and his arm stretched back to grab an arrow. Quickly he went down to one knee and prepared to shoot, whenever Eren would command.

About three more crackles flew down to the sky, which beamed the docks. On the sand there was a creature sitting with its flaming wings cradling something.

"What is that thing?" Asher pointed to the bird of fire.

"A phoenix has risen once again." Eren walked forth to the creature.

"Eren, don't get too close," Asher hissed and kept his eye on the creature in fear of an attack. His shoulders tensed, and he pulled back his arrow more. Eren did not respond, he dropped his sword, and it fell to the sand. "Eren!" Suddenly, Eren's hand touched the creature, to which the phoenix would nuzzle it's head. Eren seemed to have not burnt his hand in the process, but he caressed the animal as if they had met once again.

"Why have you come?" Eren murmured. The bird stopped and stared toward Eren and for a few moments neither spoke. No words were communicated, but Eren nodded and bowed down. The phoenix's flaming feathers opened to reveal a maiden in a white gown.

"Eren? What is that," Asher said as he put his arrow back in his quiver.

"A maiden," Eren scooped her feather like body into his arms. "The Phoenix had brought forth a wounded woman,"

"She could be evil Eren!" In only a few moments, the phoenix burst to the sky with force, and flew to the beam above. The sky had turned from an orange light to a ball of purple, green and blue mixture. The colors exploded into light and the phoenix had disappeared, along with it's orange and red flames. Not a bird chirped, the sea did not sway, the trees did not shake, and the maiden lay in Eren's arms, asleep.

"She seems to be unconscious and starved. We must bring her back to the village." An arrow of light shot in all directions, curving and glowing, shades of blues, purples, and greens across the black night canvas. Swaying like a group of dolphins, going across the sea. At that moment Eren turned back around. "Quickly," Eren spoke gently but authoritatively. Eren began walking back to the forest, but Asher grabbed Eren's shoulder.

"She is definitely evil, she came from that bird of flame Eren, you must be a fool if you think for a moment, YOU should bring that witch back with us!"

"She is harmless, Asher comes along." His eyes displayed an authoritative figure, one that seemed to be daring for Asher to speak out again.

"Tsk. The firebird must have burnt your sense of right and wrong. You're thinking about carrying that witch into town? I thought you wanted to keep the evil out, not bring it inside us," Asher shouted back.

"Fine, you're right, Asher."

"I am," he hesitated and continued with a grin, "Of course I am. I will even slay her myself-"

"Why should I be the one carrying her when you can." Without a moment of regret, Eren stepped forward and laid the girl into Asher's arms. Asher stared dumbfounded with his mouth gaping open. "This is not what I meant! Why must I carry her? I don't know what diseases she might be carrying," he said disgustedly as he moved his head far away from hers.

"Maybe you should have kept your mouth shut."

☆ ☆ ☆

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of "The Lore of Lazuli." Don't forget to leave a little Vote <3
(Word Count: 1216)