Chapter 4 - Urgent Meeting

((Note: Don't forget to VOTE this chapter if you enjoy this chapter <3))

Sage lifted her dress to steadily run, without tripping. Alina copied this motion, for the thickness of the dress would only slow them down. The stone path was livened by a slimy green moss infesting itself, along with roots of the pine. Alina looked around, as this was her first time seeing the town. The bright sun lay on the trees, whose cedar aroma filled her nostrils. She breathed heavily through the clean pine air, which made it easier for her to run. The town itself was not as clean. The run-down homes have lived their lives. The mundane crops hung on for life. Some of the watermelons would never live to their adult years, and it would surprise her if they were even edible. Though the fox around seemed to enjoy feasting on the small piece of unripe melon. A haunted grimness shone through the soil. It had been infertile for ages. There was plentiful dark oak, long and tall covering the sun. She wondered whether these trees may be the cause of this shabby town.

Soon they had entered a small sanction. Around 20 people at most were gathered, in some form of town square. There were merchant booths, all of which were abandoned. Except one, which seemed to have papers, and toys along with lots of random things. Alina wondered what the purpose of this merchant booth was, but she didn't have time to question it. Above on a pedestal, Eren stood tall while Asher was right below him. Next to Asher though was a younger guard, who seemed to be timid. Eren coughed into his arm and started to speak.

"This must be urgent news," Sage whispered to her husband, Edgar. "I wonder what this could be about." Edgar only nodded and watched as Eren begin.

"Hello everyone. We have adjourned this gathering to inform you of the current affairs we visage. Our Lord, Lord Elliot, has not sent any forms of messenger on his travels for peace negotiations between neighboring villages. While our Lord should have been back in a day no less than two, he has been gone for almost two we–," Eren seemed to have more to say, but there was commotion amongst the other villagers which roared over his own.

"Wherefore you do not travel alongside Lord Elliot. You are the head knight are you not? Is it not your duty," shouted a villager with his fist raised. A woman placed a hand to his shoulder in an attempt to calm him.

Eren froze in an instant. "I-I was unable to accompany our Lord, upon his request that I stay to protect the village. The area has been known to have bandit camps close by, and our Lord has't feared for your safety."

"Has Lord Elliot abandoned us," a young maidan said looking up towards her mother.

"Eren? What will we do?" A man with platinum hair and crumpled brows spoke. He light faded blue eyes which were frail and wisping away still had a light. His gaze was a rope which was anchored tightly to Eren. The other villagers seemed to have lost their light. Their ropes which used to be tight to Eren and other guards seemed to wither down in a few seconds. Eren's light seemed to be fading quickly. With each whisper it seemed to dull him. Eren was peering over each head until he found the elderly man and Eren's brows furrowed. No words could form.

"Eren, I told you this would cause panic," Asher hissed at Eren in a hushed tone which caused Eren to exit his trance.

"No," Eren shouted out, which caught the attention of all around. Their whispers and roars shushed instantly. "I had not come to be the baron of bad news. I assembled today to ask a favor of you all. I request that you stay hopeful. For once our Lord finds his way back, he will see to it that all of his people were faithful for his return. We musn't doubt, or panic, or flee." Eren then looked at the crowd once again. "The moment we lose the light of hope-" Once again Eren was cut off.

"I beest not be faithless to the word of our Lord! Nor the others, though my own family will be fill'd with pangs of hunger. The crops are withered," a woman yelled out to him. "How shall I feed my own without food?"