Part 9

Jiang YanLi was feeling restless after her conversation with her youngest brother. She decided a walk along the beach would soothe her soul. But upon nearing the shore, she heard Jin ZiXuan shouting. "Do you know who I am?"

And Wang Ping, the YunmengJiang senior disciple in charge of water safety, responded. "We all know who you are." There was a noise that sounded suspiciously like someone hocking up and spitting snot onto the ground. "You're the ass who insulted our lady, and caused grievous harm to our Head Disciple. You're here only by the grace of our lady. If it was up to us? We would all have left you to flit around in your golden tower until the Wen ground you under their heel."

"How dare you speak to me in that manner!"

"I'll dare to speak to you in any manner I please," Wang Ping retorted. "You may be a sect heir back there. Here? You're nothing more than a common soldier under Wei Gongzi's, Jiang Guniang's, or Jiang Gongzi's command. And since I'm their senior officer here, that means you're under my command, too. When I say you don't fucking go in the water, you don't fucking go in the water."

"We know how to swim." Jin ZiXuan protested.

"You can swim in ponds and lakes, maybe a slow river. This is the ocean. None of you have set foot in it before. You don't know how to handle its currents, any undertows, nothing. If your cultivators want to learn, they may ask me, politely and respectfully, if I will give them lessons. But unless I personally give the go ahead, not a one of you does more than dip your boots into the water. Do you understand?"

Jiang YanLi left them to argue it out. It was interesting that Wang Ping placed her between her brothers, with A'Xian listed first. Shouldn't A'Cheng be first in command for the YunmengJiang? After all, he was the heir...

Her walk took her to the makeshift sparring grounds where A'Xian was still playing with Lan WangJi. Playing, not fighting, because they were using wooden practice swords instead of their spiritual swords. "They look good together, don't they," Lan XiChen murmured quietly as he joined her.

"Lan ZongZhu.... They appear to be equally matched," she agreed. "In temperament as well as skill."

"Temperament, Jiang Guniang?" Lan XiChen smiled gently. "They appear to have opposite temperaments."

She partly agreed. "Your brother is a settling influence on mine. A'Xian so very much wants Lan ErGongzi's approval. It makes him want to work more carefully and purposefully instead of just charging ahead with no plan."

"And WangJi wants Wei Gongzi's approval as well. He has allowed Wei Gongzi... liberties he barely allows me to have. So... I guess you correct."

"I will encourage their friendship; will you?" Jiang YanLi gave her companion a frank look. "My brother will need all the support he can get if he is to survive this war. To me... nothing is more important than my brothers living through this as unscathed as possible."

"I think Wei Gongzi is a good influence on WangJi. I think they can assist each other to cultivate to immortality. I would like that. Thank you, by the way, for sending Wei Gongzi to WangJI earlier. He has been understandably upset at our father's passing."

"I am sorry for your loss. If A'Xian can relieve your brother of any of his negative feelings, I am happy."

"I think those negative feelings are more that he doesn't mourn than that he does. Neither of us have seen our father from before the day our mother died until just before we activated the talismans to come here." They continued to watch their brothers spar for a while. "Ah. Wei Gongzi has just won this match."

"How do you think that"

"GusuLan sword forms are elegant and measured. What I have seen of YunmengJiang sword forms are that they are more adaptable, more fluid. WangJi has successfully used the same stroke against Wei Gongzi three times now. Your brother just figured out how to defend against it. Which means he will soon figure out how to defeat it." He smiled at the woman at his side. "WangJi doesn't know what to do in that situation. Losing that attack, yes, just like that," he pointed out as his brother moved one way, Wei WuXian moved in an apparently unexpected way, and one sword clattered to the ground. "Good form, Wei WuXian!"

Wei WuXian brushed sweaty hair away from his face. "That was a great match!"

Lan WangJi looked furious. "Show me what you did. No one has ever...."

Wei WuXian's grin was unrepentant. "Attempt the impossible! Sure, Lan Er Gege. I'll show you what I did." They stepped back into position, going through the moves slowly.

Jiang YanLi smiled warmly at the pair. "They really are good for each other."

Dear readers

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Dear readers.

A friend of mine, Snipiam, is actually growing lotus flowers in her green house with the intention of eating the seeds. The image on the just uploaded cover is a picture of one of her flowers. I think it's awesome that she's allowing me to use her picture for my story. :)

Thank you Snipiam!
- Aitch.