2 × everything new

Though his morning happened to be unusually rough, Jay's mood was affected more by the unexpected encounter with not so-friendly school president. He arrived at the classroom. Holding tight onto his guitar and backpack, he entered inside. The group of students was already chatting at their desks. He looked around trying to find a place for himself. He walked up to a trio of girls, that seemed nice.

"Hi, I'm Park Jay and I'm new here." He greeted them with a slight smile. They looked at each other slowly with a smile. "Can you tell me which seat is not taken?" 

"The one next to me," one of them laughed and extended her hand. "Hi, I'm Choi Yena." 

Her hair was long and black. She had bangs and quite bold eyeliner. The one sitting beside her punched her arm and giggled. She had short dark brown hair and bangs as well.

"Girl, no" she interrupted with a smile. "You can sit there," she pointed to the back of the class. "You can leave the guitar next to the lockers. I'm Kim Chaewon and this is Huh Yunjin by the way."

The third girl was standing next to their desk. She had her arms crossed. Her dark hair was long and wavy. She was wearing black glasses and no makeup. When she was mentioned, she flinched and smiled slightly like she was woken up from a dream.

"Oh, thank you," he responded with a laugh. "Nice to meet you." He bowed slightly in their direction.

"Oh, yeah, hi." She observed his face for a second and continued. "Do you do Youtube?" Her voice got a bit louder. She recognized him.

"That's right," he answered. He held the backpack strap tighter.

"So it's you! God, I love your covers. And your guitar skills! I told you guys about him," she pushed her friends a bit. Her excitement made other students interested in the situation. They started listening to them. "I'm quite shocked to be your classmate, but it's great! No one's really interested in electric guitars here except me, so it's nice to have a company."

Jay relaxed trying to ignore all these stares, while the girl clearly didn't mind them.

"You play too?" 

"Yes! But it's more of a hobby outside of school. Here, I'm only a vocalist." She laughed and adjusted her glasses.

"Only a vocalist? Girl, you're the star of this school." Chaewon rolled her eyes and then punched her arm. "Oh right. Do you know there's an audition for a musical today?" She asked Jay, who immediately nodded.

"Yup, I've been informed about that, but can you tell me more about it? I never really took part in something like this." He scratched his neck. Yunjin clicked her tongue.

"Auditions are competitions. There will be scouts and directors watching our musical, so this is a very important performance for us, fourth years." Yunjin explained.

"The role you land will determine your future life," Yena added interrupting her. Jay gulped.

"It's not that extreme, but yeah, it's true to some extent," Yunjin raised her brows and shrugged her shoulders.

"Who decides on the roles?" Jay asked another question, but he got startled because someone put their arm around him.

"That's Jake's role. And he directs a whole show as well." An owner of the arm answered. "I'm Lee Heeseung, hi newbie." He smiled and extended his hand to him. Jay shook it and tried to forget about being startled.

"Who's Jake?" Jay asked again. He felt like he was asking too many questions, but he wanted to be informed. 

"Our classmate. You see, every time we put out a show, there is a competition to write a musical screenplay. Most of us don't care about it, since we want to be part of the play, but some in our major prefer to be a screenwriter. Jake has won every single time for four years, though." Heeseung explained slowly. "He's quite a hit."