𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 42

♫ Run your hands through her hair
Whenever she's sad ♫

Sofia Morales POV

Opening the door to two cops wasn't on my list of things to do on this Saturday morning. It was a strange feeling, I felt the nerves in my stomach, they looked like they brought bad news.

"Good morning, what can I help you with?" I ask curiously.

"We are looking for Sofia Morales, is that you miss?" The older officer asks and I nod.

"It's me. Did something happen?" I ask confusedly, it might have been a misunderstanding, but they know my name, making me realize something happened.

"Do you happen to know where your boyfriend might be? Have you been in contact with him?" He asks and I nod.

"He is upstairs," I answer as I point to Carlos who starts coming down the stairs calmly as he scrolled through his phone.

"A man has been found, it was a hit and run. He had no identification document on him but he has a lot of stuff that turned out to be yours. By the age of the victim, we assumed it was a boyfriend or brother since we verified you have a brother of similar age to you." He says and in that moment I feel the tears in my eyes. It can't be Edgar, he was fine last night.

"Is everything okay?" Carlos asks as he reaches the end of the stairs. I turn to look at him as tears are threatening to roll down my face and he rushes to hug me. "Can someone tell me what's happening?"

"Someone died in a hit-and-run, he had some of my stuff. They suspect it might be Edgar" I said it out loud and it made my tears roll down as he rubbed my back trying to comfort me.

"What? But- When? We were with him last nigh" Carlos says confusedly.

"We were called to the scene at around 11 PM, so it's around that time" The younger officer's words made me sigh in relief. I turn to looked at them in confusion.

"We were with Edgar until midnight, our parents and his sisters too. It can't be him. What did he have that was mine?" I ask with some suspicions in my mind. It couldn't be Miguel, could it?

"He had an engagement ring, a wallet with some cards, all in your name but outdated and suspended and a lingerie set. It was all in his backpack, it was suspicious but we thought only someone close could have those." The older officer says clearly pitying to have to say it in my face.

"Miguel López. He took those things from me 6 years ago, it's him. A charge was pressed against him for rape and murder attempt but there weren't enough proof. He was the one who did but cops never took my word. Those were is trophies." I explain as they seem surprised.

"You were all together last night, do you have any witnesses who can testify for your presence at 11 PM, maybe a bit before?" The younger guy asks and I nod.

"Basically the 250 people that were at the charity gala we participated in. Both of our families were there, we are big supporters of the cause." Carlos says as he still holds me carefully.

"I am sorry for the huge confusion, we will try to contact the López family and maybe they can confirm his identity. Since you have an alibi I would say you can rest. If you have any information just contact me." The older man says as he hands me his business card.

"He has a tattoo on his wrist, I bit him when he was assaulting me and he tattoed over the mark I left, that should make identification easier," I informed them and they nodded.

"Have a good weekend" The younger officer says as they leave.

"How did this happen?" I asked surprisedly as we walked to the living room.

"Are you okay?" He asks worriedly as I sit down and I nod.

"I am relieved. But this is just a very well-made coincidence. Miguel is killed in a hit-and-run while we are all together in a public space with hundreds of witnesses. I never thought this would happen" I say as I observe as Carlos sits down by my side.

"A very happy coincidence, isn't it?" He says calmly as he turns on the television and gives me my phone.

"Was it you? Did you hire someone?" I ask curiously, I was not going to judge him, I just wanted to know if this is really something he would be capable of doing.

"Do you really want to know the answer? Because accidents can happen, people panic and run. There is no need to overthink it." He says as he looks at me.

"Mi tesoro, just tell me" I ask as I get closer to him and I see the smirk on his face.

"I made it happen, that's all you need to know. Now, let me kiss you because that look you gave me was way too teasing" He says as I sit in his lap with his leg to his side.

"Thank you. I love you, but what happens if you get caught?" I ask concerned.

"Caught? For what? I was with you and our family. I didn't do anything." He says with a cocky smile and I roll my eyes.

"Can't it be traced back to you? The communications or the payment?"

"Mi amor. Do you really think I would do this if there was even a 1% chance of me being caught? Money is a blessing in things like this. Nothing can be traced back to me, nothing. Because my hands are clean. Do you understand?" He was confident in his words and I didn't care about it enough to insist so I smiled and kissed him.