Is Alaric Aware

After Alaric left, Victoria sat on the couch in a daze before continuing her work. This is the path I have chosen, so Tam on my own. Suddenly, her phone rang, and she glanced at it to see it was from Noel Javier.

After calming herself down, she picked up the call. "What's up?"

"Pass me the tasks on your plate. I'll settle them for you."

Then, she paused and questioned with a hint of doubt, "Huh?"

"Yasmin said you were sick. Why didn't you tell me?" Noel's voice sounded gentle as he sighed and persuaded her, "Take a good rest if you're not feeling well and switch off your phone. You think your body's made of steel, huh?"

He used to be her father's right-hand man at Selwyn Corporation before the Selwyn Family went bankrupt. However, the company's sudden bankruptcy derailed what should have been a prosperous future for him.

After the incident, Victoria thought he would look for a position more fitting
to his talents, but he joined Cadogan Group.

It came as a shock to her after she learned about it, so she asked him. Noel, on the other hand, merely offered her a smile.

"Did you assume that I joined Cadogan Group because of you? You should be aware that they are the largest corporation in Gandra, right? No other company can offer me a better career advancement than them."

It's hard to argue with him when what he says is reasonable. With that in mind, Victoria felt too ashamed to try to talk herself out of it. Then, she recalled that her father used to set her up with him before her family went bankrupt.

In addition, the way he answered her father still stuck in her mind.

She recalled him looking at her with a gentle expression and smiling softly.
He answered, "Victoria is still young.
So, let's talk about it later."

Since then, he had treated her warmly and acted as an older brother. Moreover, he had always been considerate and attentive to her needs.

Gradually, the expression in his eyes when he looked at her changed. Nevertheless, she was conscious of his intentions. However, her heart had long belonged to someone else.

Few people in this world would have their feelings reciprocated.

Thinking of that, Victoria snapped out of her daze and declined Noel's offer. "Don't worry about it, Noel. It's only a cold. I'm all good now."

Meanwhile, on the other line, he said nothing and sighed heavily, "Are you
drawing a line between us now, Victoria?"

When she heard that, she paused in silence.

"Let's put aside Mr. Selwyn being my savior. We're now colleagues in the
Cadogan Group. Shouldn't we help each other out during hard times?"

"Noel-"

"Do you think I'm incapable of taking over your responsibilities? Or are you starting to dislike me?"

"Not at all." Victoria hurriedly denied it. "You've treated me very well. Why would I dislike you?"

She did not have a brother, and Noel, few years older than her, was always considerate toward her. Moreover, she had always regarded him as an older brother. So, why would she hate him?

Hence, when she denied his statements, she sounded anxious.

Perhaps, her attitude had pleased him, eliciting a chuckle from the other end of the line. His laughter was deep yet sweet.