Taking That Tone with Me

The story...

That managed to jog Victoria's memory.
She had been listening to stories of Griselda's youth and was enjoying herself too, but all of a sudden, she started feeling drowsy.

However, she didn't have the heart to cut Griselda off, so she forced herself to stay awake and carry on listening.

Victoria had no idea when she fell asleep.
She began to feel bad about it.

"I didn't mean to fall asleep. Do you think Grandma is upset with me?"

"Grandma loves you so much. What do you think?"

Alaric told Victoria about Griselda not letting him wake Victoria up when he came over.

Victoria lowered her eyes and chuckled lightly.

"That's true."

In her newly awakened state, Victoria seemed rather naive and clueless. Alaric noticed this and tapped her on the forehead. "What goes on in that head of yours all day long?"

Victoria stiffened. She was still feeling a little bleary-eyed earlier, but her head was clear now.

She gently massaged her forehead as she stared at Alaric with a blank look in her eyes.

There were times when Alaric's gestures confused her.

She would even get the illusion that he might begin to develop a tiny bit of feelings for her after being with her for so long.

This illusion appeared frequently in the past two years, but it would only last for a brief moment as Victoria would swiftly be reminded of the reality.

However, as time passed and the two of them started forming a connection, she began to lose herself in the relationship and truly believed that they would be together forever.

Alas, she was hit in the face with reality.

As long as Claudia came back, she would always be Alaric's first choice.

Victoria's gaze grew colder as she set her hand down and lowered her eyes without saying anything.

Alaric's smile grew faint as well.

Even though she didn't speak, he sensed that her attitude had turned icier. "What's the matter?"

Victoria shook her head. "It's nothing. I just feel a little hazy after my nap."

She wanted to get out of bed, and upon noticing this, Alaric raised his hand to pull her up.

However, as soon as he stretched his hand out, Victoria immediately pulled back as if she had been stung.

All at once, both Alaric and Victoria froze.
"Is this what you mean by ending the fight?"

Victoria looked up and saw the cold smirk on Alaric's face, and the coldness in his eyes. "I'm sorry. I won't do it again."

She sat up by herself.

Nevertheless, her apology accomplished nothing as the atmosphere between the two became chilly again due to the way she avoided him.

She glanced at Alaric's unpleasant expression and secretly sighed to herself.

Things might even get worse between the two if they both stuck around until Griselda was done with her medical checkup, so Victoria suggested, "l shouldn't have done that earlier. But anyway, Grandma should be coming out soon, right? Why don't you head back first?"

The air around Alaric became even colder. "What did you say?"

After a pause, she explained, "I'm not trying to chase you away, but do you want Grandma to see you this way? You'll still have to work this afternoon anyway. I'll explain things to Grandma for you."