Thunder and love | Jake

~

vote - comment - follow

From my window, I observed the somber gray clouds looming in the sky, casting a sense of gloom over the surroundings. As someone with a deep-rooted fear of thunder, anxiety swiftly took hold of me. In an instinctive response, I reached for my phone, urgently dialing Jake's number.

Anxiously, I awaited his response, my foot tapping restlessly as I surveyed the house. "Come on, come on," I muttered under my breath, desperately hoping for his timely answer. Finally, a sound emanated from the phone, eliciting a spark of relief within me.

"Jake?" I questioned, my voice laced with both trepidation and hope.

"Y/n?" Jake's voice resonated through the phone, instantly bringing a smile of relief to my face.

"Hey, can you come over? I'm home alone, and there's a formidable storm approaching. You know how terrified I am of thunder," I explained, a shudder passing through me at the mere thought of lightning and the deafening crashes that followed.

"Alright, I'll be there in five," Jake responded, his tone reassuring, before promptly ending the call.

Taking a deep breath, I exhaled a sigh of relief and made my way to the kitchen to fetch a glass of water. As I rinsed the cup, a drizzle began to fall outside, causing me to bite my lip in apprehension. With a trembling hand, I finished rinsing the cup and took a sip, attempting to calm my nerves.

Jake was well aware of my anxiety surrounding thunderstorms. He possessed an innate understanding of how to provide comfort during moments of fear. He was my best friend, and while I harbored feelings for him, I remained uncertain about the extent of his emotions for me.

Suddenly, a resounding crash of thunder reverberated outside, causing me to flinch in terror and hastily retreat from the window. Anticipating Jake's arrival, I unlocked the door, allowing him to let himself in. Seeking solace, I settled onto the couch, tightly covering my ears, and closed my eyes, awaiting Jake's arrival.

A few minutes later, the door swung open, revealing Jake, slightly damp from the rain. Paying no mind to his wet shoes, he stepped inside, locking the door behind him.

"Y/n," Jake spoke softly, his gaze falling upon my trembling figure. He closed the door, ensuring our sanctuary from the storm, and approached me, gently rubbing my back in a soothing manner.

Leaning against him, I continued to shield my ears from the cacophony outside. "It's okay, Y/n. Let's go to your room, alright?" Jake's voice resonated tenderly, although it sounded muffled to me due to my ears still being covered. Despite his occasional irritable demeanor, Jake possessed a soft spot for me.

I nodded in agreement, and together we rose from the couch, making our way to my room. Jake closed the door behind us, creating a haven from the terrifying storm, and guided me to sit on the bed, carefully tucking me in before joining me. Once again, I leaned against him, disregarding the dampness that clung to his clothes. His arms enveloped me, providing a sense of security as he gently swayed me from side to side.

Unbeknownst to Jake, tears welled up in my eyes as the thunder grew louder, goosebumps forming on my skin. Sensing my distress, he tightened the blanket around me, attempting to shield me from the storm's emotional onslaught.

Gradually, my quiet sobs escalated, the fear refusing to subside.

"It's fine, Y/n. Don't worry, everything's okay," Jake reassured, his hand continuing its soothing motion along my back.

Resting my head against his chest, I sniffled and flinched with each thunderclap, seeking solace in his steadfast presence.

"Shh, it's okay. Don't cry. Just focus on my heartbeat," Jake whispered, his voice laced with tenderness as he tried to offer me comfort. Nodding with a sniffle, I allowed him to continue stroking my hair softly, the gentle gesture sending calming tingles down my spine.

Closing my eyes tightly, I exerted my best effort to surrender to sleep's embrace. After a few minutes, exhaustion triumphed, and I finally succumbed to slumber, enveloped in the comforting embrace of Jake's unwavering presence.