Pool | Jungwon

~

vote - comment - follow

I entered the sweltering kitchen, feeling the intense heat as the broken AC offered no respite. The stifling temperatures made the air heavy and hard to breathe. Drops of sweat trickled down my forehead as I grabbed a glass and filled it with cool water, the condensation forming on its surface offering a momentary relief.

With the refreshing drink in hand, I climbed the stairs, the heat seeming to intensify with every step. The door to my brother's room swung open, revealing him standing shirtless, his body glistening with perspiration. As I entered, the pungent smell of sweat assaulted my nostrils, causing me to pinch my nose in disgust.

"What's up with all the sweat, Niki?" I exclaimed, wrinkling my nose in distaste.

Ignoring me, Niki replied, "Get out, I have a friend over." I glanced behind him, my eyes landing on the familiar shirtless figure with black silky hair, a regular visitor to our home. His presence only added to the already sweltering atmosphere. I used to have a crush on him a year ago, that was until they would always go out with each other and not hang out at home, I rarely saw him at school so my crush on him soon disappeared.

Feeling slightly flustered, I instinctively covered my eyes, apologizing, "Oops, sorry."

Ignoring my discomfort, Niki insisted, "It's my turn to use the fan." He pointed to a battery-powered fan on his dresser, its weak breeze barely making a dent in the oppressive heat.

"But you've had it for ages!" I protested, growing increasingly desperate. The sweat continued to bead on my forehead, threatening to blur my vision. "Please, I'm getting sweaty and sticky. Can't I use it for a little while?"

"Just come into the room then, we can share," Niki suggested, his tone indifferent.

The thought of entering that room, saturated with the stench of sweat, made my stomach churn. "No way," I replied, recoiling at the mere thought. "Not with that smell."

"Get some Febreeze or something," Niki suggested, his attention fixed on me.

I huffed in frustration, feeling the dampness of my clothes stick to my skin. I retrieved the Febreeze from the bathroom, the coolness of the bottle a stark contrast to the sweltering air. Returning to the room, I held my breath, praying that the mist would neutralize the unpleasant odor. Unfortunately, as the mist filled the air, it caused both Niki and his friend to cough.

"Okay, maybe a bit too much," Niki choked out, snatching the Febreeze from my hands.

"It's still better than the smell of sweat," I retorted, feeling a glimmer of relief as I positioned myself in front of the feeble fan. The meager relief it provided was a balm to my overheated body.

Jungwon, as I now knew him, lounged on the bed, seemingly unaffected by the tension in the room. I rolled my eyes, feeling a mixture of annoyance and exhaustion. The suffocating heat seemed to amplify every emotion.

"Y/n you look different. You've gotten even more pretty..." Jungwon mumbled the last part, surprisingly my brother didn't hear but I did. I pretended I didn't hear it and went on with the silence.

After a few minutes of awkward silence, I couldn't take it anymore. "Can we just get out of here?" I pleaded, desperate for some respite from the sweltering atmosphere.

"But what if-" Niki began, but I interrupted him, my frustration boiling over.

"If you expect me to stay in this room, reeking of sweat with two shirtless guys, think again," I scoffed, opening the door to escape the stifling environment.