Chapter 17

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is an inn nearby, why don't we rest there?" Xie Lian suggested. They had gone off route a while back and they hadn't gone past a single village since then until now. The streets were crowded and most of the inns had stopped taking people in.

"My, what a lively town" Lan Xichen commented before looking around. "Seems like the inns are fully booked. No worries, we can set up camp some ways out the town. If it is agreed upon?"

Now that took Hua Cheng by surprise. 'So the young master's aren't spoiled brats huh'.

'Hush San Lang, you're being rude' Xie Lian looked at Hua Cheng with a subtle glare. Hua Cheng looked a little sideways, clearly regretting saying that in the communication array.

"We won't mind" Xie Lian smiled, looking at the eldest Jade.

"That settles it! Me and Lan Zhan will just find some food for Yizha. We'll buy some other essentials while we're at it!" Lan Wangji was dragged by Hua Ying. And the boy didn't even wait for an answer before doing as he pleased.

"Always as lively" Lan Xichen chuckled, leading the way. "We better set up camp fast. I am starting to doubt that the best camping spaces haven't been claimed by other cultivators"

Hua Cheng and Xie Lian followed suit, a solemn expression on their faces.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"They're your parents aren't they?" Lan Wangji asked, once they were a little ways out of the town in the opposite direction where Lan Xichen had led the two cultivators.

Hua Ying bit his lip, it was no use fooling anyone now. "Yes" Hua Ying said in a weak voice. Almost whispering.

"It's okay" Lan Wangji wrapped Hua Ying in his arms, offering comfort.

Hua Ying returned the gesture, letting out a long sigh. "I don't know what to do Lan Zhan" He admitted burying his face on the tallest neck.

"Tell the truth Hua Ying, that will lessen your problems"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lan Wangji and Hua Ying made their way to the other side of the town where in a few miles the others had set up camp.

Lan Wangji nodded to Hua Ying, who made his way to the other Jade.

"Xichen-ge, Yizha won't leave a tree again" Hua Ying pouted, successfully pulling Lan Xichen away from the camp.

Xie Lian smiled at them fondly, a look of longing in his eyes.

"Do you have siblings?" Lan Wangji asked from behind him, which took Xie Lian by surprise. "No, why do you ask Lan Gongzi?" Xie Lian replied.

Hua Cheng looked at the confrontation, his anger rising. How dare the little mortal talk to his gege like that.

"You seem very fond of watching A'Ying and Xichen-ge. A parental kind of look" Lan Wangji made himself comfortable, sitting on a fallen tree.

Xie Lian stayed quiet for a full minute that Hua Cheng was about to say the boy off, but Xie Lian beat him to it. "Probably because I have a son" Xie Lian started. "A little pure and innocent soul that left me too early"

"I just don't know where I have gone wrong. I have given him everything, yet...."

"Have you abused him?" Lan Wangji asked suddenly which tipped the other two off.

"No! I could never! We could never!" Xie Lian lost his composure, and Hua Cheng was trying hard to keep his bloodlust in check.

"He was a sweet boy, we could never abuse him for anything..."

Hua Cheng gritted his teeth. "Why are you asking this?" He seethed, completely forgetting that he was in the mortal world.

"What happened to him?" Lan Wangji ignored Hua Cheng. Completely focusing on Xie Lian, who was the easiest target.

"He ran away..."

"Someone took him"

Silence. That was the outcome.

Hua Cheng and Xie Lian looked at each other surprised by what the other had said.

"He ran way, what are saying someone took him, San Lang?" Xie Lian looked at the other confused.

"Memory alteration?" Lan Wangji whispered. Looking at the other two, somewhat finally understanding where to start.

"What happened before your child went missing?" Lan Wangji asked. He knew they would answer, they needed answers too.

"I grounded him for ignoring our warnings"

"He was injured when he returned home from falling off a tree"

"What? San Lang, he was never injured..." Xie Lian looked more confused.

The two was about to argue when Lan Wangji stated something.

"So if I asked your son these questions then he'll say something that wouldn't align to what the two of you said" Hua Cheng looked at Lan Wangji.

"You keep this for yourself or there will be consequences" Hua Cheng threatened. "San Lang!" Xie Lian scolded, taking Hua Cheng's hand in his.

"Need no worries Crimson Rain Sought Flower, Taizi Dianxia" Lan Wangji stood up intend of fetching his Zhiji and brother.

"How do you..." Xie Lian stopped him by the arm. "How do you think I would know this secret information" Lan Wangji stated.

"You... You know where our son is?" Hua Cheng asked.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------