Chapter 44: Autumn Outing

"Chu Xia, what are you reading?"

Chu Xia, after finishing her own work and realizing it was almost time to get off work, quietly took out the physics problems she had answered incorrectly to review.

She had a seat by the window, tucked away in a corner, and she was very discreet in the office, only taking a moment to review her work after finishing her tasks.

Her colleagues in the office often read books or knit when they had free time, and no one paid much attention to her small actions.

"Nothing, just reading," Chu Xia says calmly as she closes the book.

It's just that she doesn't know why, but ever since the incident of borrowing clothes, Chu Xia has always felt that Huang Tingyue is extra concerned about her every move.

It seems that in the future, she should avoid reviewing high school materials in the office.

It's fine when no one pays attention, but if someone does, she needs to be careful so that her personal affairs are not discovered. Otherwise, the whole factory will know, which won't be good for her job.

Thinking this, Chu Xia put away the exercise book and looked out the window, pondering over the laws of physics, which wouldn't interfere with her studies.

Huang Tingyue looked into Chu Xia's bag and saw nothing, a little undeterred: "Chu Xia, I've noticed you often read alone. My blind date partner also says that it's good for girls to read more. Do you have any recommendations?"

As she said this, Huang Tingyue's face had a hint of embarrassment, and she blushed slightly. It seemed that her blind date was going well; at least she was quite satisfied with her prospective partner.

Chu Xia smiled at Huang Tingyue and said with a sincere face, "I think books like 'Red Rock,' 'Red Flag Canal,' and 'xx Quotations' are very suitable for you. They help elevate our spiritual understanding, inspire us to learn from the revolutionary predecessors, and dedicate our youth to our country and factory."

"Chu Xia, do you also love reading these books? I really enjoy them, especially 'Red Rock.' Every time I read it, I feel angry, sad, and deeply moved."

One of the older colleagues in the office, who didn't usually talk much, perked up upon hearing Chu Xia mention these books. He thought he had found a like-minded comrade.

In the midst of Huang Tingyue's perplexed gaze, Chu Xia nodded with a gentle smile. "Yes, I love reading them. I particularly admire Jiang Jie from 'Red Rock.'"

These were required classics for the high school entrance exam back in the day, and she had read them thoroughly to gain a few extra points. Plus, recommending these kinds of books was never a mistake.

"Me too!"

As the older colleague and Chu Xia began discussing the stories and plotlines in the books, Huang Tingyue thought to herself, "Could these books really be that good? Maybe I should get a copy as well."

She wasn't much of a reader, typically only delving into martial arts novels. Books like 'Red Rock' didn't appeal to her, and she had only heard about their popularity from her classmates.

Huang Tingyue wasn't wrong; her blind date partner was the scholarly, book-loving type. She had intended to read more books to have more topics to discuss with him. 

So, as soon as she got off work, she hurried to the Xinhua Bookstore. She purchased all three books that Chu Xia had recommended and even brought 'Red Rock' to work the next day.

"Chu Xia, I read a few pages of this book yesterday, and it's really well-written. Thank you!" Huang Tingyue said, holding the book in front of Chu Xia and trying to mimic her manner.