TWENTY-ONE

WOO-JIN

WOO-JIN

With my door ajar, I watched how she was into it.
She cleaned the kitchen island with her eyes glued to the TV. Didn't miss anything.

I watch her every reaction.

Her eyes go wide when a character on the screen says something heartfelt.
Her lips part when the character does something nice. Her eyebrows lower when it's a sad scene.
Her lips set into a thin line when she didn't agree with something.
Her lips formed into a smile when the characters kissed.
Her eyes go wide, her eyebrows go up, and her lip parts- that's when she doesn't see the plot twist coming.

I could not stop smiling.
I could not focus on my work.

We hear the bell and I quickly pull up live footage on my computer screen from outside the gates. A delivery man on a bike. I take a screenshot and walk out, pulling back Daisy just as she's about to open the door. She looks at me confused and I shake my head, "Stay here." She nods and for once, does what I tell her to do.

I walk out cautiously, the footage playing on my phone this time. The guy just keeps a package on the floor and he's getting on his bike, driving away.
I open the door to pull the package in. You can never be too sure of what it could be. She yells from inside, "What is it?!" I stay quiet and take my knife out, slowly and precisely, cutting up the plastic tape.
I pull open the cardboard flaps and there's a velvet bag inside.
I take that out and pull open the strings, doing all of this very slowly with a very impatient and curious girl inside my house.

This could be anything.
A hand, an eye, a spider.
There were just too many possibilities.

I take the silicon-feeling thing out and it's shaped like a rose. And there's a card inside. It was from this bizarre website called sexybuddy.com and on the card it said, I read it loud, "We hope you like your new sexy buddy and have an erotic evening. You're special and deserve some stress relief." And right inside there's another thing. A tube.

Lube.

"Oh, it arrived!" She yells excitedly and makes her way to me with my cut-up briefs in her hand that she uses as rags. At least she cleans now.
She takes the rose-looking thing from my hand and the tube and smiles at it widely. Then she takes the velvet bag and frowns, "There should've been a charger too." And there is. A short white wire, both ends type C. She smiles when she finds it while I watch her with my arms crossed on my chest, "What the hell is that?" She shows it to me like a little child, all up in my face, "My new sexy buddy!" With a click of a button, it vibrates to life. The little circle in the middle of the rosebud going crazy. My lips part and I am pissed, my voice was leveled, "You bought a toy?" She nods, "Duh! I left my old one in my apartment." Then she leans back and flutters her eyelashes, "Thank you for buying."

"I didn't buy it."

"Sure you did, you paid hundred-and-two dollars yesterday, plus twelve dollars more for shipping. You're the best."