Chapter 13: It's Always Been You

He had barely managed to grab hold of her wrist as she dangled over the side of the building. She looked up at him with wide eyes.

"Emma!" he cried, choking on his tears, desperately holding onto her.

He leaned forward more to grab hold of both her wrists as he started to pull her up.

He eventually got her back onto her feet and had wrapped his arms around her as he sobbed.

She stood still as the tears rolled down her cheeks. "Liam" she whispered as her hands found his shirt. She gripped onto the fabric and started to sob with him.

He pulled away and grabbed her shoulders and shook her. "Why?! Why would you resort to throwing your life away?!" he cried; his grip on her tightening.

Emma's lips parted but she said nothing.

Liam's voice broke. "Don't leave me" he whimpered, cupping her face in his hands.

"Liam" she breathed, placing her hands over his.

When he slumped down to the floor, she went down with him. "Damn you" he hissed. "Scaring the hell out of me like that! How could you be so fucking reckless?!"

"I..."

"Shut up!" he snapped. "You almost left before I could tell you everything! How I've loved you ever since freshman year. How I've always wanted you but couldn't bring myself to face you after what I did. I know what I did! And I haven't went a day without regretting it!" he cried. "I should've told you sooner. I should've told you everything sooner. I should've been there for you and told you how much you mean to me. I should've--"

Emma leaned in and kissed him softly, running her fingers through his hair. When he kissed her back, they just sat there on the floor holding each other, losing track of time.

He broke the kiss to gently press his forehead against hers. "It's always been you. It's always been you."

Tears continued to flow down her cheeks, but Emma smiled at his words. "You really should've told me sooner."

"Promise me" his whispered. "Promise you won't leave..."

Emma took his hand in hers and laced their pinkies together. "Pinkie promise" she said with a weak laugh.

Liam finally smiled. "Okay."

After a pause, Liam spoke again. "It's getting late. Can I spend the night?"

Emma was about to nod when she winced.

Liam looked at her, alarmed, when his eyes shot back down to her bleeding wrists. The cuts weren't deep or fatal, but they should still be taken care of. "Where's your bathroom?"

She nodded to the door towards the left corner of her room.

Gently helping her up, he guided her there and sat her down on the counter, rummaging around for some first aid kit. When he found some bandages and something to clean them, he slowly started to work on them.

After finishing up, Emma sat in front of him with her bandaged arms. Her eyes widened when he took hold of one of her arms and gently pulled it towards him, making sure her wrist was facing up. He kept his eyes on her as he brought her scarred wrist to his lips and kissed it. "Share your burdens with me" he whispered. "Let me take on your pain with you."

She smiled through her tears. "I will" she breathed before kissing him.

They ended up falling asleep together in Emma's bed, skin on skin, legs entangled. Just the two of them under her warm blankets. Emma woke up first to the morning light that shined down on her pale face.

"Are you awake?" she whispered.

When she got no response, she simply smiled and trailed her fingertips along Liam's face. He looked so... beautiful. Especially under the sunlight.

Emma edged out of bed and got dressed in a black long sleeve shirt and some dark blue skinny jeans with a few holes in them. Maybe she could go to the fair with the three boys today since it was the last day of it.

She pulled out her phone and shot Sam a text, asking if his offer still stands. When she heard Liam mutter her name, she strode over to him and sat down on the bed. "Good morning" she smiled.

He gave her a smile and looked at her with tired eyes. "Mornin'."

She leaned down to kiss his forehead and let out a surprised squeal when he grabbed her and pulled her into him. She giggled into his chest as he ran his fingers through her hair and wrapped his arms around her. "Liam, we're supposed to be getting out of bed."

"I don't wanna" he yawned.

"Come on, silly" she said, grabbing his arm. "I'm already dressed and everything, it's your turn."

He groaned before sitting up and getting up out of bed. He put his clothes back on, looking relieved to see they weren't too wrinkled. When Emma's phone buzzed, she looked down at it.

From: Sam

Woooo!! I already told Bry that you're coming with us, so just send the addy!

She laughed lightly and sent her address. "We're going to the fair today with Sam and Bryson."

He cocked his brow. "We are?"

"It'll be fun! I haven't been to a fair in ages."

"I've never been to a fair" he murmured.

Emma paused and grabbed him by the shoulders, violently shaking him. "Seriously? Well, now you have to go! You're gonna love it!"

"Okay, okay!" he laughed, putting his hands on top of hers until she let go. "I'll take your word for it."