Chapter 5: Makeup Excuse

I took the doorknob and opened it carefully, crossing it without anyone being able to hear me. I could see that everyone was sitting on the couch, chatting animatedly, while Jake was running around the house like crazy, I guess looking for a hiding place.

"Hey, Kai," he said agitatedly as he passed in front of me, "Henry isn't coming yet, right?" I shook my head with a frown, "great!"

The behavior of the people in this house never ceases to amaze me, but that's what made it fun to be here.

I walked over to the couch, where I sat between Jasper and Charlotte.

"Henry?" Charlotte asked whispering.

"Blood bank," I responded the same way, "he asked Ray for the day off but you know 'superheroes don't take the day off'" I said trying to imitate Ray's voice.

Charlotte made a strange face and shook her head.

"Last month he took 4 days to go to Texas," she said, raising her arms.

"It was 5 days."

"So what?".

"He said none of those days were his birthday."

"That makes no sense".

"I know," I answered.

We sat for a while, talking about trivial things or stories about Henry's past birthdays. Of which I have only been to three, when he turned 15, 16 and now 17. It was so fun hearing about my friend when he was little, and even more so the way they told it, because they described every detail perfectly.

"Oh, that birthday!" Piper exclaimed. "That day I pushed Henry so hard into his cake that he almost broke his nose."

We were on Henry's 12th birthday, and he didn't know that Piper almost broke his nose, when out of nowhere Jasper, Charlotte and mine's phone rang indicating that we had received a message...Henry.

"oh!" I got everyone's attention "I just got a message from Henry" I said trying to sound normal looking at my phone.

"Yes, so do I," Charlotte completed.

"It's a trick" Jake appeared behind the couch, when did he get there? "We still have to hide."

"I also got a message," Jasper finished, "it says 'I have to go, make up excuse.' "

My God, when Jasper finished speaking, I leaned on the couch making a palm face with my hand, it can't be possible.

"Make up excuse?" Piper asked strangely.

"Yes," Charlotte responded, saving the situation, "but not makeup, no, it's...".

"Makeup," I tried to interject as I sat up. "He said he had to excuse himself to go shopping..." Henry is going to hate me. "Makeup? Yeah, to the makeup store."

His entire family looked at us surprised and confused at the same time.

"Henry wears makeup?" Kris asked.

Jasper snorted, "Have you seen him without it?"

I looked at my friend and made a grimace with my mouth, I lowered my head and began to slowly shake it. One day the secret will get out if we keep making up stupid, meaningless excuses. Makeup, really?

"Well if that's the case," Kris said as he stood up from his spot, "we have to find a way to keep that cake frozen."

"Mom's right," Piper continued. "Jasper go get the fans in the garage and keep that cake cold."

My friend looked up from his phone and looked at Piper.

"I don't want to," he responded with fear.

"What did you say?" Piper asked in a high tone.

"I don't want to do it."

I looked up from my phone and looked at Piper. If I didn't know her, I'd say she was just upset, but come on it's Piper, the world is going to explode.

"Jasper just do it," I insisted, he denied "you owe me, remember? One month".

"Yes ma'am!".

And as if by magic, he got up from the couch and walked to the back door that led to the garage.

"Kai," Piper called to me, making me turn to look at her, "you have to teach me how to do that."

"Anytime," I responded, winking at her.

"You know, I still don't understand why you're not part of my family."

I let out a sigh. "And get on with that topic!" I exclaimed. "Piper, understand, I've been telling you for a year now, it will never happen."

"But wouldn't you like to spend more time here? You'd be like my big sister."

I put my phone aside and put my hands on my face.

The same discussion, the same routine, everything since Henry's 16th birthday, when we were playing "Truth or Flare" and I got truth, they gave me the choice between Jasper or Henry... yes, I chose Henry, but it's worth mentioning , that I was angry with Jasper at that time, so I had no choice, and to be honest I would choose them both.

"Piper, I like you, even with your temperament," I said, trying not to get her upset, "but your brother and I, it will never happen."

"You didn't say that a year ago."

I looked at her strangely.

"You knew I was mad at Jasper, and I'm sorry, but I don't see Henry as anything more than my friend."

"Are you sure?" she asked maliciously.

"Mhm?"

"Are you sure?"

I snorted and picked up my phone again. "Oh yeah, of course I am."