Chapter 4: Getting Used to Things

AN: Just a quick reminder that everyone in this story is aged up. So, now, everyone is around 17-18 years old. By the time of graduation, everyone will be 18+. Thank you!

✾✾✾

Time flew by in this new world of yours. You had a completely new life: new friends, new hobbies, and new goals. It was as if you never had a life before this one. 

It has been two years since you joined the training corps. You were at your final year before graduation, but for some reason, you didn't want to move on just yet. 

Your birthday recently passed but all you could think about was what would come after graduation. You've landed a spot in the top ten so far, but you needed to make sure you could keep it that way. Titans are not something you ever wanted to deal with. 

Thump!

"You're distracted, (Y/n)." Marco extended a hand out to your aching one. You grasped onto it and he swiftly hoisted you off the ground.

"I'm not, let's go again." You rubbed your temples and returned back to your fighting position. 

Hand-to-hand combat used to never be your strong point, but recently you've been improving drastically. You could even hold your own against Annie for longer than most. 

As close as you and Marco had become, he never really liked being your sparring partner because he felt awkward swinging at you. You always assured you would never be angry with him but deep down he still felt it was wrong.

Marco swung, but you quickly ducked and sent your foot flying to the back of his knees which made him topple over. You pointed the wooden knife directly at his throat while holding his shoulders down with your arm. He cracked a small grin at you and you did too before loosening your grip and helping him up.

"Okay, okay, I got it." Marco playfully put his arms up in defeat. "You've gotten better. If you keep fighting like that, we'll be together in the interior in no time, serving the king with great honor!"

"You really made yourself believe that you want to join the MP's just to serve the king?" Jean butted in. He pushed Marco's shoulder and grinned at you. "That's a bunch of crap. At least I'm honest."

"But I am being honest!" Marco exclaimed while rubbing his shoulder. All you could do was laugh as the two bickered.

Jean huffed. "You're laughing as if you don't feel the same as I do, (Y/n)."

"Whatever, loverboy. You're wasting your time harassing us when you could be showing off your skills for Mikasa." You taunted him with a sly grin.

Jean's face grew red and he took a step closer. "That's not true, and you know it! Those jokes aren't funny!"

You were typically nicer to the other cadets, but something about Jean really grinded your gears. The two of you were pretty close, too, so it was often that you both made fun of each other.

"What's with the slacking over here?" Eren strutted over to the group with the wooden knife gripped tightly in his hand. 

"You just got your ass kicked by Annie four times in a row Jaeger. I don't think you can do much talking." Jean retorted aggressively.

Eren clenched his jaw. He was about to spew another insult before you spoke up. "How about we switch things around?" You suggested nervously, trying to cease the tension. "Jean, you spar with Marco. Eren, you can be my new partner."

Marco murmured a quiet 'thank god' and Jean just looked pissed off. "You want to spar with that idiot?" He clicked his tongue in annoyance. "Have fun with that, (L/n)."