CHAPTER 5

"What could possibly be going on?" Zach inquired, directing his question at Luna. "They both have feelings for each other, but they are too afraid to admit it," Luna responded.

"So, what did you whisper to Mr. Shin?" Zach prodded further. "Oh, I just mentioned that Alice has a crush on him," Luna divulged nonchalantly. "Well, looks like you make a great cupid," Zach said sarcastically.

The scene shifted to a time skip, returning to their hometown.

Luna's thoughts:

Perhaps you're wondering why I'm back in my hometown. It's because of the school holiday break and I wanted to visit my mom. You might also be questioning why I referred to her as "mom" instead of "parents." The truth is, my dad lives in Daegu while my mom resides in Seoul. They divorced when I was 14 due to endless arguments and conflicts. I also have an older brother who currently works as a famous chef in the USA.

Flashback:

Luna's thoughts at 13 years old:

I hid in my room, tears streaming down my face as I listened to my parents' heated argument outside. My pillow was soaked with my tears as I cried myself to sleep. Was it only me who felt this way?

I hated my life, wishing at times that I could just end it. I even thought about self-harm, but the fear of someone seeing the scars held me back. I often felt so low, but I learned to bottle up my emotions and became more mature mentally than most kids my age.

I dealt with things that I shouldn't have to go through. My parents' fights were so bad that sometimes I just wanted to scream. I couldn't carry on living like this.

My dad hurt my mom, and it was depressing. Sometimes, I wished I had never been born. I would have preferred my parents to get a divorce.

School was the only place I found solace, a brief escape from the hell that was my home. And when my brother moved out, I would be left alone to endure the torment.

The flashback ended, and a lone tear traced down my cheek as I recalled those painful memories. I closed my eyes, trying to push them out of my mind.

-Time skip- Morning in Home Town-

The morning sun caressed my face, sending a wave of nostalgia through me. This feeling of waking up in my hometown is unmatched. But as with life, there are always some unpleasant memories that linger.

I headed to the bathroom to freshen up, opting for a white t-shirt tucked into casual shorts, topped with a sheer cardigan. As I finished getting ready, I made my way downstairs to the kitchen where my mom was cooking.

"Mom, what's on the menu? I'm starving," I asked, making my way towards her.

"I'm making your favorite kimchi fried rice and tteokbokki," my mom replied, a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Why is there so much, though?" I questioned, eyeing the large portions of food. It seemed like it could feed a family of five.

"I just thought you could take some with you to your apartment in New York when you go back," my mom explained, her smile turning into a nervous one.

"Get the plates ready, I'll bring the food," my mom instructed. I grabbed two marble plates that my brother had gifted me from the US. He often visits me in New York and brings gifts for my mom whenever I come home for holidays except before exams.

As I sat at the table, waiting for my mom, I heard a knock on the door. "Moonie, can you get the door for me?" my mom called out from the kitchen. Moonie was her nickname for me, while my brother called me Lunie.

I opened the door to find Alice, Zach, and Mr. Shin standing there. "Happy birthday, Iris!" Alice exclaimed, her excitement contagious. Wait, it's my birthday? I really need to pay more attention to the calendar.

"Thank you, Lissie!" I replied, hugging her tightly.

"Happy birthday, Iris," Zach greeted, shaking my hand.

"Thank you, Zachie," I said, returning the formal gesture.

"Happy birthday, Luna," Mr. Shin wished me awkwardly.

"Thank you, Mr. Shin," I replied. "No need to be formal, you can call me Ari or Seo," Mr. Shin - or rather, Ari - said.

"Come on in, let's eat," I invited them all inside. "Mom, did you know they were coming?" I asked, curious.

"It was your birthday and I wanted to surprise you," my mother revealed. Another knock echoed through the door. "I have no idea who that could be," she added.

I eagerly opened the door and to my delight, it was my brother!

I wrapped my arms around him in a hug and he wished me, "Happy birthday Lunie."

"Thank you so much Jun hyung," I beamed with joy.

"I feel forgotten," my mother melodramatically announced, wiping away invisible tears.

"Mommy, it's good to see you," my brother greeted her. "Let's eat, I'm hungry," I suggested.

"Sure," my brother agreed. We all gathered around the round table and began to feast.

"By the way, Lunie, who is this handsome boy? Is he your boyfriend?" my brother pointedly asked. Both Mr. Shin and Zach began to choke on their food, but luckily, there was water nearby to save them.

"Hyung, who are you talking about?" I asked to clear the confusion.

"Oh, I'm talking about this boy," my brother clarified, gesturing towards Zach.

Ari let out a sigh of relief and Zach's face turned bright red.

"Hyung, let me give you a proper introduction. This is Zach, a friend of mine from school, and this is Mr. Shin, or you can call him Ari or Seo," I introduced them.

"It's very nice to meet you both. Seo, how is my Lunie doing in her studies?" my brother inquired.

"She's excelling, Mr...." Ari paused.

"Oh, sorry. I'm Kim Jun Lee, but you can call me Lee. Only Lunie calls me Jun," my brother revealed. "She is doing wonderfully in her studies, Lee. She also has a great talent for writing stories," Ari complimented.

"Well, that's fantastic, Lunie," my brother praised.

I proudly flipped my hair, but accidentally hit Ari's face. "Sorry, Ari," I apologized nervously.

"It's okay," Ari reassured me.

Ari and Zach were both eating incredibly fast. "Kiddos, slow down," my mother scolded, glancing at them.

"Isn't this food just amazing?" Zach exclaimed.

Ari simply nodded his head eagerly.

Everyone laughed, except for Ari and Zach, who were too busy shoveling food into their mouths. The day went by filled with laughter and joy.