chapter fourteen - bring the pain.

❝ HEY, AVERY YOU WANNA PLAY A GAME?

❝ HEY, AVERY YOU WANNA PLAY A GAME?. ❞
( season two, episode five. )

THE LITTLE FAMILY WAS ON their way back to Lindsey's house after enjoying dinner and a stroll downtown. Avery, sitting in the backseat, was securely buckled in her car seat with headphones on, lost in the music playing from Derek's iPod.

Meanwhile, Lindsey and Derek were engaged in a heated discussion in their respective seats at the front. Lindsey, trying to keep her voice down so as not to disturb Avery, whispered-yelled at Derek about the papers she had found earlier.

"I knew you weren't going to sign them anyway, I'm not stupid, but that's not point the point is you not telling me." Lindsey said, her frustration evident.

Derek, not one to back down, retorted, "How do you know I wasn't going to? Maybe I was going to do it tomorrow."

He turned on the windshield wipers as the rain outside started pouring down heavily.

Lindsey scoffed, accusing him of trying to find an easy way out and blaming others for his decisions.

"It's none of your business what I do with the papers," Derek mumbled, pulling into the driveway.

Lindsey, feeling a mix of annoyance and gratitude, swiftly unbuckled her seatbelt and got out of the car, slamming the door behind her but not before saying her peace.

"Trust me, I don't care what you do with them. All I'm saying is thanks for the heads up, you clown," she concluded.

Derek spun around, his eyes locking onto Avery, a grin spreading across his face. In response, she couldn't help but mirror his toothy smile, completely oblivious to the ongoing conversation.

"Did you seriously slam my car door?" he questioned, barely stepping out of the vehicle.

"Yeah, and what's the big deal?" she nonchalantly shrugged, rolling her eyes as she approached Derek's side of the car, prepared to retrieve Avery from the backseat. However, to her dismay, he beat her to it.

He scooped up his daughter and shielded her from the rain, flashing a quick smirk at Lindsey before hurrying towards the safety of the porch.

"Clown," Lindsey called out, rushing to join them under the porch, causing Derek to let out a sarcastic chuckle.

Lindsey rummaged through her bag for her house keys, while Derek gently placed Avery on the ground, giving her a kiss on the cheek before retrieving his iPod and headphones.