Part 5

Emma

After Justin walked me to my dorm and left yesterday night, I came to my room and found it still empty. I didn't get Haley's number to call her and check whether she would be coming back. My stomach growled, reminding me I was still hungry. I look into the bag that I brought back from the store. I had bought bread and peanut butter. I make a peanut butter sandwich quickly, and I eat it. My mom calls me and lets me know that they have reached home. Her voice makes me homesick, and I barely say a few words and hang up, saying that I am tired. I finish my sandwich, set the alarm for the next morning, and try to sleep. 

My thoughts keep going to Justin and the way he looked at me before leaving. It was almost like he wanted to kiss me. Okay, Emma, stop imagining things now. I quickly pushed away the thoughts. That is not possible. Boys like him don't fit in my life. I like everything planned, controlled, and with no surprises. The 3 hours I spent with him were full of surprises. My mind was giving me a hundred reasons to stay away from him, but my heart wondered if I would ever see him again.

It took me forever to sleep, and now as my alarm beeps at 7 a.m., I grunt and reach out to turn off the alarm. "Turn it off!" a gruff male voice sounds from Haley's bed. 

I yell in surprise and turn it off quickly. Looking over at Haley's bed, there were two people in her bed. She was in the corner, and the guy who just spoke was now again sleeping soundly behind her. Okay... Calm down.. He must be her boyfriend, I thought. I get up quickly, take my small bag, and head to the showers to wash up and get ready for class. When I return from my shower, I find only Haley in the room sleeping; her boyfriend must have left.

I quietly go inside and take out the clothes I am going to wear today. Jeans and a t-shirt should be enough. I decide to put my hair in a low pony and just apply some mascara. I lock the door, quickly get dressed, and head out to class. Haley told me she was a junior, so she might have classes later in the day.

 I reached Philosophy 101 class quickly and scanned the room, and I found very few students seated. I sighed in relief because I could now sit wherever I wanted. I took a seat in the middle row, facing the wall, and looked at my watch. There were still a few minutes left for the class to begin. I checked my phone, answering a few messages while the classroom started to fill up. The professor, Honor, came inside the class and started introducing himself. He started to talk about the class when a guy came rushing into it. He started apologizing to Mr.Honor after watching the frown across his face. He quickly sat next to me to further avoid disrupting the class. Mr.Honor continued about philosophy and why it was important to us as freshmen to take this class.

The guy who sat next to me whispered, "Hi. I'm Joel".

I whispered back, "I'm Emma." He smiled at me and continued to listen to class. He was good-looking in a traditional way. He had blond hair and blue eyes and seemed friendly. As I continued to listen to Mr.Honor talk about philosophy, I came to the conclusion that this was not going to be my favorite class. I was quite relieved when the class was over and I walked out. Joel was also walking beside me.

"So that class was something," he stated, smiling at me.

"Yes, I don't think philosophy is going to be my favorite subject this semester," I said, smiling back at him.

Faking a shocked gasp, he said, "Hey! I thought that was very interesting! . Mr. Honor seems to be very lively."

"Okay... Is that why you almost fell off the chair? I say now, laughing. Mr. Honor was old and, I think, very close to retirement; he spoke so slowly that Joel almost slept in class.

"Hey! I was tired, and his voice really sounds like a lullaby.

"Yes, it was a little bit," I say, smiling now.