Part 8

Emma

To say I was embarrassed was the least. 

"Emma, wait up!" His voice sliced through the ambient noise, and I slowed down. A mix of confusion and hurt reflected in my eyes as he caught up.

"I'm so sorry. Are you alright?" Justin asked, genuine concern etched on his face.

I wiped away a stray tear, responding with a hint of sarcasm, "I'm great! I love it when drinks get thrown at me at random!."

He sighed, acknowledging the situation. "I'm sorry about that. That was Anna; she is my ex-girlfriend. We broke up about a month ago, and she is still not over it."

"Yeah, I've got a front-row seat to her charming personality," I retorted, still reeling in the fact that Anna was Justin's ex.

I watch him sigh in defeat. I'm sorry again, Emma. I had no idea that was about to happen."

I didn't have any energy to deal with him anymore. I shrugged, "Just go back to the party and leave me alone." I continued my walk towards my dorm.

"Let me walk you, please," he pleaded with me as he was walking with me.

Now I was getting frustrated and upset. I turned to face him and said, "No! I don't want you to do that! I just want to be alone right now. I say, holding in my tears. I don't wait for or look at him to respond back.

I look ahead and continue my walk in the cold air. My t-shirt, which was completely wet, is now almost frozen despite the cold air, and my skin was feeling sticky as I neared my dorm gates. As I opened the gate, I looked back to see Justin right behind me with a sad and desperate look on his face. Not wanting to talk with him further , I entered the gates. I heard my name being called out again. I turned around and just looked at him in defeat as he walked closer to me.

Justin

I was fully sprinting, heading in the direction in which Nate pointed me. I was determined not to let Emma leave like this. She didn't deserve this, and in the back of my mind, I was hearing a voice saying I didn't deserve to know someone like her as well. I chose to ignore that voice right now as I saw her walking in the cold.

"Emma, wait up! I shout, which makes her stop and turn around. I managed to reach her, and by the look on her face, I knew she wasn't happy to see me again, and I could visibly see the hurt in her teary eyes, which made me feel awful.

I tried to apologize to her, but I didn't expect her to accept it. She probably didn't even know who Anna was or why all of this happened. Her response to my apology confirmed this. I explained to her that Anna was my ex, but it didn't seem to faze her. She just shrugged and asked me to go back to the party. I'd offered to walk her to her dorm, but that seemed to irritate her more. The last thing I would do was leave her and go back, so I stayed quiet and walked behind her all the way to her dorm. I didn't say anything,not wanting to upset her more.

The walk was not too long. When she was about to enter the gate, she looked back, and our eyes met. From what I could see, she looked tired and sad. As soon as our eyes met, she turned her head quickly and walked faster towards her dorm. Not wanting things to end like this, I call out her name and walk towards her. I say everything that comes to mind then and there.

Emma

"I'm really sorry about Anna, but Emma , I find you interesting. I would hate the thought of not getting to know you over this. Can we at least try to hang out one time, forgetting any of this happened ? If you don't want to hang out with me after that, I promise you I won't disturb you ever again."

Justin looks at me rather desperately, waiting for me to respond to him. I take a breath, trying to process everything he just said to me. 

"I honestly have no idea how to respond to that, I would like to get to know you too, but you are too much for me. I don't think I can handle you and all that you bring. Just look at today. I had no idea what was going on, but I got caught in the middle of you and your girlfriend."

"Ex-girlfriend," he corrects me.

"Yes, ex-girlfriend, still, that's not an excuse to treat people like that," I asserted.

"You're right," Justin admitted. "And I won't let her get away with it, she certainly doesn't get to treat you that way."

A chuckle escaped my lips. "Chivalry isn't dead, huh?"

"Not when it comes to standing up for someone I care about," Justin replied with a gentle smile.

I feel something resonate inside me with his smile. "Fine. Let's start by being friends."

"I can take that for now," he says, giving me a genuine smile that makes his green eyes shine.

A cool breeze makes me shiver and reminds me that I need to go inside and change my clothes. Watching me shiver, Justin frowns, "You should go inside, Emma; I don't want you to catch a cold now"

Nodding my head in acceptance, "Yeah, I'm going . See you around, Justin."

"Wait, do you think maybe I can get your number?" he asks me nervously.

"Fine, give me your phone." I type in my number and save it. I hand the phone back to his hand and look up to see his beautiful smile.

"Thanks Emma! Now go on inside before you freeze", he chuckled.

 I shook my head and continued my walk inside. When I was behind the warmth of the closed door, I peeked out to see Justin. To my surprise, it looked like he had just started walking back. It's only then that I notice how tall he is. My thoughts are interrupted by a text.

"Hi Emma, This is Justin. Sorry again for tonight! Let me make it up to you sometime."

I smiled upon seeing his text, but my reply would have to wait since I desperately needed a shower.