Part 13

Justin

After I dropped Emma off at her dorm, I went back home and slept early. I had an early morning practice for which I woke up at 4 a.m. We had a game this week, and I had to focus on my team. Our team needed a goalkeeper as Henderson was out with an injury and our substitute, Cam Green, was barely able to contain the goals during our practice sessions. I hardly doubt he would be able to keep up with the actual game. The kid had talent, but he needed practice, judging by the looks of him falling to the ground trying to save Nate's goal. Nate seemed to think the same as he came over to me.

"We need a real goalkeeper; the NCU team will eat Green alive," he says, looking at Green. I nodded in response, watching Green fall to the ground again. Coach Grayson, who also joins us now, is looking at Green.

"We might have to ask Joel Ambrose to come in for our evening practice. I heard he was a goalkeeper at All Saints High, which won the district-level championship last year," says coach. Joel was the guy who was with Emma at the party. Although I didn't like him coming in with Emma, we really didn't have much of a choice. I agree with our coach; we needed him. I missed his tryout for the team a while back, so I have to see him in the upcoming practice, and I was looking forward to it from what I heard.

When practice was over, I headed for a quick shower and went in for my classes. As soon as my classes were over, I had my shift at Gold's Autoshop. When that was done, I was wiped out, and it was only 8 p.m. I just wanted to go home, take a shower, and go to sleep.I reach home to find Jo and Ma having dinner. I joined them at the dinner table. Jo goes on about her school and dance class and how she did some twirling that everyone saw. She met some girl who was really pretty, and so on. I didn't pay much attention to her talk and finished my dinner. Ma looked more tired than usual, looking at Jo and paying attention to her endless rambling.

I nudge Jo, "Finish your dinner, chatterbox. I'm sleepy".

As usual, she pays no attention to me and continues her rambling.

Once she's finally done with her dinner, I help Ma with the dishes. She notices how tired I am.

"You look really tired, Justin. Maybe you should stop your job and take rest. You already have so much on your plate."

"No, I am fine, Ma. We just had a lot to do at practice today," I answered quickly, hoping she would drop the topic. She looks too tired to argue with me further. She nods and continues wiping the plates. Once we are done, I head up and lie down with a sigh. I had no idea when I slept; I was woken up by my alarm at 4 in the morning again for my routine.

Emma

I called my mom as soon as I reached my room and told her the news that I got a job. I expected her to be happy for me, but instead I got a lecture on how the job was going to distract me from doing well in school and I should just focus on what I am good at. By that, what she meant was that I should continue doing what she expects me to do. I tried reasoning with her, but I knew that she wouldn't back down. Lily Reynolds was a very determined lady who almost always got what she wanted.

My biological dad died when I was just a year old. She was just a student with no support system to fall back on. She was fierce to make it on her own and finished her education by working part-time. She met my dad, Peter, when she was working, and they got married when I was around 5. Peter was the greatest dad I could ever hope for. He cared for me so much that I hardly ever thought he wasn't my biological father. He was the one who convinced my mom of most of my decisions and let me get a break from my overly protective mom.

However, now I was not in the mood for another lecture from my mom. I quickly tell her I have a headache and end the call. I sigh in frustration. I was really excited about the job. I just have to block out all the wanted voices in my head and from my mom. I head out to the cafeteria to have dinner and head back soon. As pathetic as it seems, I checked my phone again. No new messages. I toss my phone onto my nightstand and try to go to sleep soon. Hayley comes in around midnight and goes straight to her bed. Unfortunately, I was still awake, waiting for sleep to come. To my luck, it starts raining, and I fall asleep sometime soon to the sound of the rain.

The next three days flew by as I was manically running between my classes and my new job. It turns out I totally stink at managing anything in the studio, as I kept messing up the admission forms, ordering way too many stockings, and spilling water all over the studio floor. My saving grace was Sophia, who was patient with me and helped me sort out all my messes. I was super grateful to her and even worked late to help her with balancing the accounts.On Thursday, it was almost 9 when I locked up the studio after arranging the new admissions into a new filing system. I had to walk about 4 blocks to reach the nearest bus stop, and it was already dark outside with few people walking on the streets.

I pulled my coat closer across my body as I made my way along the street. The cool breeze sends a shiver through me. I headed towards the bus stop when I was startled by my phone ringing inside my backpack, as I was absentmindedly trying to find my phone. I ran into someone in front of me. The impact of the collision makes me stumble and fall. I try to steady myself, but my hand seems to be stuck around my phone charger cable. Shit! This is when a set of hands comes around my back, steadying me from falling on my... It takes me a second to come to my senses and look at the person who saved me from my fall. I could only see that it was a man who was taller than me and was wearing a beanie. He smelled like spice and vanilla. It was quite dark, and I couldn't make out much of his face.

"I'm so sorry." I apologize and step away from his way.

I get a cold response: "You should look at where you're walking." Okay, I'm not a fan of him already.

"Yes, I will. Thank you for helping me," I reply, and walk past him quickly to reach the bus stop. The bus stop is well-lit, and I look back to see if I can find out who helped me. I don't find anyone in the street. Just then, my bus comes to the stop, and I get on it. Back on campus I quickly finish my dinner and head up to my dorm.

I find Hayley already on her bed and working on her laptop. She looks up to me as soon as I enter the room.

"Hi Emma!" she chirps. I reciprocated her smile automatically.

"Hi Hayley!"

"I'm seeing very little of you these days. Is Justin taking up most of your time?" she asks playfully. The mention of his name brings a nervous laugh from me.

"No.. I actually got a job. It's managing a dance studio on 8th Street. I go almost every day. That's why I've been coming in late."

"Oh, that sounds cool! What about Justin? You guys went on a date last Sunday, right?" she questions. I let out an exhale.

"We just had coffee; it was not a date, but he hasn't texted or called me since then."

"Oh." Her face scrunches as she thinks.

"You like him?" she asks me.

"Yes." I hate to admit it, but I do like him. I really felt a strong connection when we were together on that cliff, looking at the sunrise.

"I don't know Hayley. I'm way out of my depth here. I've never been in a serious relationship before. I like him; he excites me, but I am also scared of how I'm feeling". She senses my unease; she dumps her laptop on her bed and sits beside me.

"Hey.. I get it. Maybe he feels the same way about you too. Never be afraid to follow your heart, Emma. So what if he didn't text you? Text him and ask him why he didn't text you. Go crazy if you want. Some guys really love that."

I couldn't help but laugh at what she just said.

"Maybe I will." She gives me a warm smile and heads back to her bed to continue her work. I look at my phone and think about what to do next.