Part 1

Justin

Pain... What would you say will cause pain? A cut in your hand and face from where blood is oozing. Glass shreds logged in your back because you were just launched out of a window while fighting, while you are a little tipsy yourself? No. I am numb to this physical pain because the pain I am feeling in my heart is much more grave.

As I lay there in the shattered glass I think about how the hell did I reach here? Everything was normal. Who am I kidding? Almost normal just hours ago. I had a family and a fucking perfect girlfriend or that's what I thought, until I found her cheating with some guy I swear I have seen many times but never talked to. All of this happening when I wanted to just find her and talk to her about all the shittiest things that are happening to me on the same day, but no I find her cheating, then confront her in a restaurant with that idiot and his friends get in a fight and get thrown out of a freaking window and end up laying on the wet ground thinking about life?

Well this is shaping into a terrible fucking day. I get off the ground and groan .. "Fuck!" the glass must have gotten in more than one place in my back. I take a few steps. That's when Anna comes out of the restaurant shrieking and crying.. "I am sorry I am so sorry...I never expected you to find out like this Justin!". I just look at her and expect to feel anger and resentment but I feel nothing. I just keep walking away. That's when it hits me.

I was never angry at her or her stupid friend whom she was kissing the restaurant. I was mad at only one person... my father or if you can even call him that. The bastard who left my poor mother with two little kids to care for without a single penny. After which my mother had to work for every penny she needed doing odd jobs not caring about her health. All of which lead her straight down the road of cancer. Oh yes, that was also one of the revelations I found out today at the hospital where I was 2 hours ago. She had two months to live.

I couldn't bear to see my younger sister Joanna sit there unaware of what was happening or to watch my mother try to console me saying everything will be okay when nothing was ever going to be the same again. I just couldn't. I had to get out there and talk to someone about it who would understand. That's when I tried to find Anna and the rest came crashing down.

As I walked towards my car in the heavy rain I just wanted this day to be over.

Emma

"Emma, Wake up!!", my mom yells from downstairs. I turn around in my bed and try to open my eyes. My eyes burned from the lack of sleep the previous night. I have always been excited about beginnings. The endless possibilities. College however has had me excited with a bit of fear. High school was easy for me. The familiarity of having a known crowd around you was comfortable. Maybe too comfortable in my case, I was getting bored of my routine, well-planned life. So when the acceptance letter for a college quite far from my home came to my doorstep, I was thrilled at the idea but my parents not so much.

It was a difficult task making my parents accept and agree to let me go to USLA, after days of begging and stating the fact that I was a responsible young woman and I can take care of myself repeatedly, they finally said yes. I was over the moon but that didn't help me yesterday night when I was tossing and turning around thinking how the hell am I going to do this.

"Emma??" my mom yells again. "Yes, I am up" I say wishing I had a few more hours to rest my eyes but I take a look at my bedside clock and sigh, Nope have to be out of the house in 2 hours. I get up from the bed and head to the bathroom, take a quick shower and put on jeans, a tank top, and a baggy t-shirt which falls off one shoulder slightly. I take a look in the mirror, my hair is still wet and my eyes are puffy due to the lack of sleep. I decide to skip the makeup and brush my hair and let it loose around my shoulders. I take the toiletries bag and start to pack everything that I might need for college when my mom walks in the bathroom.

"Hi, honey did you sleep okay?" she asks looking at my face, "Yeah mom just a little nervous", I smile.

She looks at me little sadly and says, "There's no need to be nervous darling, you will be fine. More than fine.", "You are a smart girl, I know you will achieve great things," she says smiling now.

I also smile and hug her not saying anything fearing that if I say something I might cry. She understands my emotions and leaves me to pack the rest of the things. I head down once everything is packed and in the car. My Dad also looks sad but he doesn't let it show. My parents drive me to college and have me settled in my dorm by the end of the day. My roommate's name is Haley , she is a sophmore and is from the neighboring town. She seems like a quiet and private person. I somehow find that relaxing. She gives us a moment when my parents decide to leave. To say I was barely holding it together was an understatement, my eyes were watery when both of them hugged me goodbye. My mom obviously started crying and my dad was clearly about to when they waved their hands and left in their car.

As I walked up sadly to my dorm it was starting to get dark and looked like we were in for a thunderstorm tonight. I went back to my room to find it empty after unpacking some more of my stuff I decide to take a shower and take out my little bag. Taking my night pants, t-shirt, towel, and the toiletries bag, I head to the shower room. Inside my stall, I check the lock twice before undressing, I open the small bag to find that I didn't bring any shampoo or soap. "Ugh" I grunt and check it again wishing for it to magically appear but I do remember me starting to pack and then my mom entering the bathroom and me forgetting to pack it again. So I just skip the soap part of the shower and remind myself to pick up some at the drugstore I saw near the map of the campus. When I came back to the room still no sign of my roommate. Maybe she had gone out, I thought to myself.

My growling stomach interrupted my thoughts. I needed some food. The cafeteria was supposed to be nearby so I just wore a coat over my night pants and t-shirt I closed the door and headed out for the cafeteria. Looking at my phone it was just around 7PM, I could go for a walk before heading to eat. As I made my way towards the campus enjoying the view. I walked around campus for a bit and decided to go to the drugstore. I was a pre-planner that was who I was. Having a clear and well-defined plan helped me relax and felt like I was in control. All that was missing from my list today was soap and shampoo, as silly as that might sound those two items never left my mind. As I neared the drugstore, raindrops started to fall accompanied by heavy thunder." Just my luck", I thought as I ran into the drugstore just escaping from being drenched. I found what I was looking for and even found an umbrella.

"Ha.. take that universe, see I can get out of here just fine now" I murmured as I headed to the counter to pay for the items. "It is really pouring cats and dogs out there!" the old lady behind the register smiled at me. "Yes, it is" I say smiling at her and with a loud bang the power goes out. Looking out the window to see if the power has gone out everywhere I see him in the rain the light of the lightning strike. Now who in their right mind will go for a walk in this thunderstorm? I try to figure out where he headed. He is tall, well-built and seems to be walking towards his car. He is dragging one of his foot lightly and when he reaches almost 3 feet away from his car he trips and falls down. He doesn't seem to get up immediately. Something's not right.

I turn to the old lady and say "Excuse me mam, can you watch my bag for a few minutes, I'll be right back".

She says, "Ofcourse dear and you can all me Maria" smiling at me.

"Thank you Maria, I'll be back in a minute", I say returning her smile and get out the drugstore with my new umbrella walking towards him.