Chapter 5

With my hands tied up, the man turns me around, making sure to keep holding onto my shoulders, to prevent me from running. Before me stand many, many people. Over a hundred from what I can tell. What the heck is going to happen? Slightly to my left, I can see what looks to be a stage of some sort. And off to the side, in front of the stage, is a large, shallow-looking hole in the ground filled with sticks arranged to look like a stuck-on-an-uninhabited-island fire. I wonder would that be better, being here or stuck on an island? At least I would be free, but it would still be a question whether I would survive and get home. I'll debate that thought a little later, if I get the chance that is.

I watched as the dark-skinned man, Ryan Collins, walked onto the stage. I can feel my body starting to shake in fear as I await to hear my fate.

I watch as he grabs a large flaming torch. Are we going to be burnt alive? Is this some twisted version of a witch hunt? Oh god, I hope not. I remain silent as I watch him place the torch under the pile of logs and sticks. Moments later he pulls back, the flames already licking at the sides of the wood. He stands back up, his frame towering as he walks to the centre of the stage, his arms out to the sides in a welcoming gesture. And then I was moving. Moving towards him. I tried to fight against the man holding me, but he wouldn't have any of it and soon I was slightly lifted off my feet until we made it to the side of the stage along with the two other chosen people. Too scared to do anything I remain frozen in place, darting my eyes all around before landing, and staying, on Ryan. I can hear the woman beside me sniffle a little while the man does his best to appear stoic. Impressive considering the pain he must be in right now with that bullet wound.

I can feel my body shake like an earthquake, but I remain silent, afraid to show them my fear, afraid to let them see me so vulnerable. Although I'm sure my true feelings are on full display.

"Brothers and sisters, welcome to the festival of the living where we celebrate our lives and those of our brothers and sisters. Let's not forget, we celebrate the lives of those we eat." I choke on my own spit as I listen to him. I can hear the woman beside me let out a started scream which is quickly silenced by a hand covering her mouth while the crowd erupts into loud cheers. Once they finally quieten, he continues.

"It's been a long year but let's take this gathering as a chance to make bonds, find love, and enjoy each other's company." Again, excited cheers fill the clearing which soon quietens when Ryan calmly holds up his hand once again.

"Let's get started, who would like the honour?" He questions, and immediately almost every hand goes up. I cast my eyes across the people. Everyone looked so excited and had sinister smiles plastered on their lips. But my eyes found their way towards the few people who didn't hold up their hands. They look young or somehow out of place, fear evident in their eyes followed by curiosity and could it be excitement? I allow my eyes to fall on a young girl. She looks to be slightly younger than me, about 17 maybe. Her fear was obvious.

"Brothers, sisters, we all know how this works," He paused a few moments and let everyone drop their hands and let silence fill the clearing. "We all want this opportunity to kill the first lot. Like last year I will choose three of you at random so there is no reason for your hands." No one spoke as they waited to see who would be chosen. Ryan let his eyes travel over everyone slowly. I can hear the woman beside me let out a loud sob, while the man's breathing got heavier, like my own. It was obvious to me now, we were going to be killed and if I understood this correctly, eaten. They are cannibals. Never in my life did I expect to be kidnapped, much less by cannibals and eaten by them. I never once considered this a possibility! Of course not, what person does? This chance is even smaller than winning the lottery. Lucky me!

I glanced at the crowd as he pointed over at someone, "The lady down the back with the blonde hair." Silence remained while everyone turned towards the direction to see who was chosen. I let my eyes drift along with theirs as I narrowed in on the girl I had spotted before. She had blonde hair and looked terrified. Did he choose her? When no one moved he seemed to elaborate a little more. "The one in the pink top." I glanced over at the girl; she was not wearing a pink top. I let my eyes travel a little further down when I noticed a young girl. The crowd parted for the bounding girl as she happily made her way towards the stage. Looking at her I realised she was tall, seeing as I am 170 centimetres, I guess she would be around 180 centimetres.