Chapter 7

We remained on the edge of the stage until most people had gathered in small groups, away from the simmering meat. A hand on the small of my back is pushing me closer to the fire. I guess it's his turn to eat. No way I'll be able to eat it again. I can feel the vomit rising, I really am going to be sick. I watch him pick up several cut-up pieces and place them on a plate just like everyone else. I guess I was an exception having to bite into the chunk of meat. I throw my still-tied hands up to my mouth as I realise what I have just done. Yep, I'm going to be sick. I quickly turn away from Ryan and instead make my way to a bush, emptying all the contents I had left in my stomach, including all the meat I had just had. The relief was short-lived as another wave of nausea flooded through me and I was at it once more. I can feel a hand on my back rubbing circles trying to soothe me. Eventually, the retching stopped, my stomach was empty, a disgusting taste was left in my mouth, and my body felt exhausted.

Turning my attention back to the present, I noticed that the one rubbing soothing circles on my back was none other than Ryan himself.

"You lasted longer than I thought you would. Although, this is quite disrespectful what you just did. We shared our meal and allowed you to be a part of our family," His voice was soft as he spoke, gently using a fabric handkerchief to wipe my mouth clean. My eyes trailed to the fabric in his hand and startled I realised it was the same one he had used before when we were all in the shed and he had stuck his finger into the man's leg where he had been shot. The blood was still on there, although dried now.

"Let's get back to the gathering, I'm hungry." And with that he pulls me by my bound hands back to where we previously stood, filling a plate with meat. Human meat. Too bad I have nothing left in my stomach or else I'm sure I would have thrown up again.

Once the plate was full, he walked away, pulling me by my tied-up hands along. I let out a small yelp in protest, but he ignored me and kept walking. We continued walking, well me stumbling behind him, until we made it to a small group of people all holding plates with meat on them. Well, the men did. The woman around them happily ate off their plates, sometimes grabbing it themselves and other times letting their partners feed it to them. It wasn't long until they realised that we had arrived. I kept my head down, not wanting to draw attention to myself. No more at least. I just need to get an idea as to where we are and how I can get away from these people.

"Ryan, congrats man!" One of them congratulated pulling him into a bro-hug. I took a small step back, not wanting to be pulled in with their hug. Surprisingly, Ryan had let my hands go so it was easy to step away. Although this little triumph was short-lived, I soon felt his arm wrap around my shoulders. I shivered in disgust trying to wriggle out of his hold, but he wouldn't let me. Daring to look up and glare at him I already saw him stare at me with disapproval in his eyes. Still trying not to draw too much attention I decided to remain quiet for the time being. While surrounded by so many people, that could eat me at any moment, there is no way I'll draw any more attention to myself than needed. With nothing better to do I stay quiet and listen to them talk. His arm never leaves my shoulders as he slowly eats, having placed the plate on what appeared to be a round table, which the group was gathered around.

After what seemed to be hours and I'm slowly falling asleep where I stand, Ryan pulls me away from the group. I struggle to keep my eyes open as I walk with him to his house. I'm too tired right now. I already skipped a night because of the sauna we were all chained up in. How badly I want to sleep right now, I don't even care where I am. But I fear being with a cannibal, one that can easily kill me and eat me while I sleep. He can turn on me at any moment. But I let him lead me away. I'm too tired from today's events to fight him again. Tomorrow will be another day, for now, I need my beauty sleep.

I force my eyes to remain open and soon I see a cabin come into sight. Ryan gently leads me inside and up a set of stairs. We quickly make it to a bedroom, and I immediately collapse onto the bed, not caring what Ryan thinks. The last thing I remember is something cold wrapping around my ankle before I fall into a deep slumber, dreaming of freedom and safety. Far, far away from cannibals and back safely at home with my family.